Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Bentley Azure Ride keeps going very firm intermittently have changed the spheres
have the diagnostic tool from flying spares can’t find the connection
any help much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Do you have the round Canon plug with the diagnostic tool? The connector for that is in the fuse panel, underneath a black plastic cover at the left end of the fuses. You have to pull the fuse panel lid down quite hard to get it to line up and connect, or undo the check bar to let it easily lower further.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the active ride tool the round pin is for the omitec I think
the manual says there should be a cable that comes from the active ride ecu behind the fuses that it should plug into but I can’t find it

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
I've never had to plug my Omitec into an Azure specifically to check the Active Ride but it does plug into that connector behind the plastic cover to check other functions. I can't recall if there is a special adapter or not for use of the Omitec on the Active Ride.The Omitec plugs into the Seraphs and Arnages through the OBD II connector as they don't have the Canon connector like the Azure. I have the RH 12418 RR factory, the Flying Spares, and also the SBI Engineering diagnostic boxes and they all have a ten pin male connector that plugs into the Active Ride module directly. I haven't looked on an Azure, but on all the Spurs etc the module is behind the fuse panel, tucked up a bit. You basically get your head down into the passenger footwell and look up to see it.The connector plugs into a rectangular slot in the back facing side of the module. It is a little tricky to get up there and plug it in. In one of my boxes IIRC there is an adapter cable that has the ten pin male on one end and a nine pin female on the other, I can't recall which car this is for though. If it is actually a cable on the Azure, it's probably never been pulled out and is really hidden up in the under dash area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FYI I had the ride control intermediately going on on my 2005 Arnage but once changed front lower and upper spring isolators and upper and lower ball joints the problem has been solved

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help
I have pulled out the ecu for the suspension and the tool I have from flying spares doesn’t work
seems the ecu is the same as fitted to the arnage so still trying to fix
previous owner gave me bills showing spring isolators were changed recently but will take a look at them

runs fine upto about 60Kmh around 80 have a bit of vibration and very hard ride then seems to go away once get above about 90Kmh also only seems to affect the front right

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
I forgot to ask, have you cleaned the connections on the active ride plugs on both front dampers? It's the first thing to check without scanning the ECU. Vibration will not be an active ride fault, it's a wheel balance issue. If the vibration is getting to the active ride ECU it's possible the vibration is tricking the ECU that there is quick suspension movement which makes it switch to firm mode. I would clean the plugs and get the front wheels balanced before going any further. Are you getting an "AUTO RIDE" fault flashing in the DIP and a beep every time it does?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
I just checked my Bentley Omitec diagnostic scanner and the Auto Ride testing for Azures is on it so you will need an Omitec with the ARC cable to read and clear faults with the Auto Ride system. But, if you don't have the intermittent warning flashing in the DIP and a beep with it then it should be working correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much for your help
I have had the wheels balanced was one of the girst things I checked and I will check the connectors
unfortunately I don’t have an omitec and have not been able to find one

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all your help looks like it’s the shock bushings so will do these and ball joints
I was told they had been done recently but definitely not
if anyone knows a good place in Ontario for repairs would be much appreciated
thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts