Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Looks like someone replaced my compressor with a cheap one...and that is driving me nuts. Is Sanden the original compressor the car would come with?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still don't understand what the issue is but I'll accept your response :)
I’m sorry - yes, the problem is is that the A/C is not blowing out as cold of air as what I thought it would be. I had my trusty mechanic start to look at it and he said that the compressor had been replaced with a “cheap” A/C compressor and I said well I want to get rid of that and put a new, high quality one on there. He referred me to “Sanden” so I will be replacing the cheap unit with a Sanden one. Fortunately, they aren’t too far away from me. I just have a problem with parts that are cheap and not what Bentley had intended to be put on the car. I believe you get what you pay for and if I am going to get this car to 100% I want the best and the original, not some knock-off or cheap part :).

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi. Sanden is original equipment so is there a problem or is it you think you just have a cheap part on your car
The A/C is very weak - and my mechanic said it looks like a cheap compressor was thrown on the car...and I do not cut corners so I’d rather have the original, high quality compressor on the car or one better. I tend to over do things and I want super high quality. :).

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I'd like to know the brand of the "cheap" one, didn't know other than sanden would fit?
Have you a picture?
I know original was 6 pistons and later were 8 or 10.
Presumably r134a? Could try a different refrigerant ( not r12)
Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Sanden one isn't all that expensive, certainly cheaper than for old Mercs etc.
I got mine from Flying Spares.

Es

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'd like to know the brand of the "cheap" one, didn't know other than sanden would fit?
Have you a picture?
Mike
There are a lot of Sanden knock offs which look exactly like Sanden. I've only had one installed in a Chevy pickup truck. It seemed like a good compressor. For that matter, it could freeze the balls of a brass monkey.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you a picture?
Mike

Reactions: mikebentleyturbo2

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Before you look at the compressor you need to confirm system pressures - even with correct pressure showing does not confirm the system is full - take out what’s in there - I think it’s 750g but might be wrong put in the correct amount etc.
The compressor does not provide the cold air it’s the evaporator that provides the cold air as the gas is transferred back
I know you want to fit a quality part but before you spend money replacing parts that work get the system working no amount of top quality parts will provide ice cold air con if the system is low on gas
when I bought my eight the air con was very poor. I hooked it up to my machine and took out nearly 1500g !!! Some so called A/C expert put in twice the correct amount -now it will freeze the vents

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before you look at the compressor you need to confirm system pressures - even with correct pressure showing does not confirm the system is full - take out what’s in there - I think it’s 750g but might be wrong put in the correct amount etc.
The compressor does not provide the cold air it’s the evaporator that provides the cold air as the gas is transferred back
I know you want to fit a quality part but before you spend money replacing parts that work get the system working no amount of top quality parts will provide ice cold air con if the system is low on gas
when I bought my eight the air con was very poor. I hooked it up to my machine and took out nearly 1500g !!! Some so called A/C expert put in twice the correct amount -now it will freeze the vents
Hi Blue,

Thank you very much for your education.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Unless you're going back in with R12, charging by pressure might be more advisable given that R12 and R134a are different densities and whatever the quantity on the label for a 1990 is not going to be the optimal quantity for R134a.

The system should perform well with R134a, even here in Texas. Whether it's been converted or not should determine what you should go back in with, as the oils are not compatible. Switching between the two could explode the scope.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I've posted this before, multiple times, but here it is again, and taken straight from IETIS:

The charge for the R134a refrigeration system on all cars other than the Rolls-Royce Silver Spur III Touring Limousine is 750g (1.65lb). On Rolls-Royce Silver Spur III Touring Limousine cars the charge used is 1.25 kg (2.75lb).

See also the attached PDF files associated with the refrigerant currently being used in your system or the information for systems converted from R12 to R134a.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts