Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 90 Bentley Turbo R, installed new battery, cleared all codes, turn key once and all the dash lights come on, turn key to start and all the lights go out and it doesn’t start. If I cross the solenoid on the starter it will turn over and with a little starting fluid it starts and runs. I’m thinking there’s no power going to starter or fuel system. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your suggestions, I know better then to use starting fluid but needed to know if it would run and we used upper cylinder lubricant. We found a fuse box in the trunk and one in the engine bay for the lights, is there another one somewhere? Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no sounds at all when you turn the key, in fact all all the dash lights go off, no alarm but I have read something about immobilization systems so maybe it could be that, thank you sir!

·
Registered
492 Posts
30K series alarm requires a key fob to arm and disarm so I don't think you have an immobilizer issue. Check the switch in the glove box, settings are 'alarm' & 'isolate'. Make sure it is set to 'isolate' to disable the alarm. There is a common fault in the ignition switch will cause the symptoms you are experiencing, a broken plastic coupling. Picture here: COUPLING IGNITION SWITCH (From VIN 30001) (UD72522) - Switchbox - Senders, Switches & Transmitters - Electrical - 1980-2003 | Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit, Spur, Bentley pre-Arnage SZ models
Get one from Albers Rolls-Royce in Indiana.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
30K series alarm requires a key fob to arm and disarm so I don't think you have an immobilizer issue. Check the switch in the glove box, settings are 'alarm' & 'isolate'. Make sure it is set to 'isolate' to disable the alarm. There is a common fault in the ignition switch will cause the symptoms you are experiencing, a broken plastic coupling. Picture here: COUPLING IGNITION SWITCH (From VIN 30001) (UD72522) - Switchbox - Senders, Switches & Transmitters - Electrical - 1980-2003 | Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit, Spur, Bentley pre-Arnage SZ models
Get one from Albers Rolls-Royce in Indiana.
Thank you very much I’ll will work on it again tomorrow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check fuse number 17 under the glove box. My 91 melts this one regularly. Everything lights up, no start. I keep a couple extra on hand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts