Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to,, tastefully, upgrade the speakers in my 89SS doors, and are wondering what size the fronts and rears are, so I can order up replacements before I take the door panels off

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Door panels. Look underneath the door panel and you will see a plate with 2 small screw that holds a retainer for the lower part of the door card. Many people miss this step. I use Rockford-Fosgate 5.25 speakers You do not want speakers where the cone surround or if its a 2 way with a center tweeter to protrude from the speaker front profile. Here's a link showing Ronny Shaver RROC tech removing a door card to service a switch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips! One issue I've been wanting to fix is one of the rear window lift switches only works in one direction (down), so I was going to look into that when I have the door panel off... this video helped out with that as well.

5 1/4 speaker search now begins.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From this video it looks like there is a little bit of relief if the center speaker (for a coax set up) protrudes juuuuuust a little, but I wont chance any ones that REALLY stand out.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
How strange, I thought it was a legal safety thing so kids couldn't work the rear windows ,like a child lock idea.
Think you will have to remove the door card and check the wiring.
Simple enough its a double pole 2 way switch to reverse the current to the motor OK
Mike

·
Registered
88 Posts
I changed my busted front speakers for a pair of Rockfords which sound fantastic with some additional sound deadening behind. See attached for model and comparison of my old knackered speaker!

For the rear, see attached the Alpines I got last year, not got round to fitting yet but was assured at the time these would fit!
7C6D3035-C671-433C-BD06-1A21DEF32490.jpeg 25DEC4FB-06BC-4945-8ED6-82E26090E9DD.jpg 82EA58A7-4F69-429D-90CA-0889BDE9E598.png

1 - 12 of 12 Posts