Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I recently put my floor jack through my radiator, I did additional damage to the twin electric fans. They were out of alignment for months. And were prevented from turning. I straightened out the electric fans tonight. How do I test out my now straightened out fans ( the grill is removed). If the electric motors are history, can I buy just the fan motors (alternative part)?
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Are we talking about the twin fans that sit in front of the radiator that are "supplemental cooling" for the AC condenser?

If so, the probability that they have ever even turned on is very, very low. Unless you live in an extremely hot environment it's unlikely they've ever seen any action whatsoever.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Whether or not the rear wheels are chocked, if you are lifting the front end of one of these cars from the recommended location, and with a rubber piece on the head of the floor jack, the jack should move right along with the car, were it to move slightly.

And that's not me recommending that you don't chock the rear wheels. But I've lifted SRH33576 more times than I can count with a floor jack, both front and back ends (two-wheels in the air and then jack stands placed beneath) and the floor jack had to roll some as the car went into the air each and every time.

When it comes to doing anything these days that requires only short-term elevation, I strongly favor using ramps over jacking the car up. For the front end, I have virtually exclusively used ramps for years now. And the ones I use are, and have been, made of plastic that's rated for the weight our cars (actually higher, but). They're easier to deal with, and entirely safe if used as their manufacturers direct.

·
Super Moderator
857 Posts
When jacking up the front of the car DO NOT chock the front of the rear wheels. You can put chocks BEHIND the rear wheels safely. The handbrake must be off, and the transmission in neutral. The jack must be free to roll, but if it sticks then the car itself must be able to roll otherwise the jack will slip off the jacking point. Never use the metal cup on the floor jack to lift the car, you must have a piece of heavy rubber in it. If you do leave the park brake on or have the transmission in park and think the floor jack will roll easily, make sure you swing the jack sideways slightly as you are lifting so the jack will roll easily. The smallest bit of grit on a concrete floor can stop a floor jack from rolling freely when weight is on it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Are we talking about the twin fans that sit in front of the radiator that are "supplemental cooling" for the AC condenser?

If so, the probability that they have ever even turned on is very, very low. Unless you live in an extremely hot environment it's unlikely they've ever seen any action whatsoever.
Speaking of which - my viscous fan clutch is being replaced. I had my tech friend come over and investigate further and come to find out, these front 2 fans have a physical switch that some rigged. So, with very little cooling from the Viscous Fan….We switched the home made setting of my 2 fans in the front to come on earlier and guess what…those 2 fans on “high” here in Texas keep way below the middle of the temperature gauge. Sorry for the ramble but my point is that those 2 fans are more then capable of keeping the engine cool. For the record I will be getting those 2 cooling fans wired and working correctly…but their air pull is definitely enough to keep the engine cool.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yes
In case I need to replace these electric fans, any alternative parts available?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
In case I need to replace these electric fans, any alternative parts available?
I honestly have no idea. There's nothing particularly unique or special about this setup in regard to dual electric fans. This arrangement is used as primary cooling on a great many cars.

Unless originality is absolutely paramount to you (and it may be) were I to need to replace these I'd find a unit that could be mounted on to the existing brackets and use the connectors off of the existing unit to get the correct "plug to socket" match.

For all I know, this could be an "off the shelf" unit that's still in production and still being used on many cars. I'd have to examine the markings and/or remove it and take it around to my local "mom and pop" parts suppliers who have "the guy or gal behind the counter" who's been doing parts matching since shortly after I was born.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Start with applying 12 v to what you have and take it from there.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Start with applying 12 v to what you have and take it from there.
Agreed. There's a lot of gun-jumping going on here. While I understand the impulse to "be prepared for the worst" in this case, since the worst is very, very unlikely, doing the checks first makes sense.

As I said earlier, in practice in most of the world these fans are never activated. Their having been "not able to turn" is irrelevant if they were never called upon to spin as far as burning out the motors goes. There could be damage to the fans that throws them out of balance, but you still have to get 'em spinning to check out whether that's the case or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts