Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have lots to check on so I'll be brief. The smell of gas is an indicator that your SU carburetor overflow is discharging gas under the car central to the engine bay. This almost always indicates one or more floats with a hole in them and they are no longer floating allowing gas to pour right passed the jets. Check under the car for gas on the ground. Then check to see if the carb floats have gasoline inside of them. Dont try to fix them. They are affordable when purchased new. Good luck, rollsroycerescue.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
On a cautionary note it's not advisable to leave the oil pressure/fuel pump cut off switch disconnected, it shuts off the fuel pump in the event of an oil pressure drop e.g., engine stall following a collision. Also there are numerous rubbish distributor rotor arms (fingers) on the market. The genuine Lucas part or - better still - the red rotor arm supplied by a company called "Distributor Doctor" is the way to go for quality & reliability.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Problem not solved yet. It started twice. I backed up to switch spots. Then went home got some stuff. Came back later. It's around freezing. Started right away and I let her warm up for like 10min. Flawless. Cut off to go inside for 5 min.. Won't start anymore. 😵

21 - 32 of 32 Posts