Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My dad purchased a Shadow 2 in bits from a local garage, we are really getting there now in getting it back on the road partly due to the advice on this forum so take this as a thanks! One thing we are stuck on, we are getting some new lines made up which feed the gearbox cooler inside the radiator but struggling with the threads onto the rad, any ideas? There was no radiator or lines when we got it we have nothing to work with and we can get them made much cheaper than teh suppliers prices.

Thanks again everyone, I will post up a thread soon for those interested :)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The fittings on both ends of each cooler pipe are the same but I don't know what the thread measurements are but I believe that the fittings are hard to find. The spanner size is 19mm. I made replacement pipes using cunifer (copper nickel), I think the pipe diameter was 7/16". I reused the fittings from the old pipes. If you contact Paul Yorke @ Everythingrollsroyce he should know the answer. You could pick up a cheap set of used pipes from a breaker's yard and use them as a template to make replacement pipes and reuse the old fittings provided they're serviceable. I presume you will be purchasing new short flexi hoses that go between the gearbox and the cooler pipes, the thread size on the flexi hoses is the same as the thread size on the bottom of the radiator. If you can borrow or buy a thread gauge or ask someone at an engineering shop to measure the threads on the flexi hoses you should get your answer. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much all, that sorted us out and saved a few pounds. I'll post some photos of the car up at some point but again thank you:)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Well done, it's important that the retaining clips for the transmission cooler pipes around the wheel arch area are fitted also, otherwise the pipes could vibrate and get snagged on other moving parts e.g., steering shaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts