Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need one it is a SPST – Single Pole Single Throw.. I have the original Lucas one it looks like this...

http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m595/FredSteel/Parts/

Anyone know where I can get one? I heard Bosch makes some that would fit this but I haven't located one yet.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff

Thanks a lot.. Hopefully this will be the answer to my prayers..

Any idea of a part number for a horn relay.. All the Lucas 6 RA's have the same numbers..

~ Fred

·
Registered
667 Posts
Fred,

The SSII horn relay is mounted on the fender inside the engine compartment, for which British Wiring's part #819 would be perfect. However, it looks like the SS horn relay is mounted on a circuit board, which means you don't need the mounting ears on the can, and you do need the location of the pins to match (they move around between some of the different relays: the "6RA" family includes at least the 33223, 33269A, 33270A, and 33271A).

Some other options:
1) Overhaul the existing relay. (Do you know what's wrong with it? Pitted and/or misaligned contacts are easy to fix, loose pins a bit harder but still doable, while a burned-out winding might put it beyond economical repair.)
2) Get a salvage part from Paul at CMC, or from some breaker yard in the States.
3) Order the correct 6RA relay (RR part #UD11469) new from Flying Spares, Montague, etc. (This option will be eye-wateringly expensive; expect to pay north of $80.)

Oh, one more: call up British Wiring and find out if the C1/C2 and W1/W2 pins on their part #819 are in the same place as your horn relay, and if they are you could get one and then swap cans (take the guts of the 819 out and put it in your can).

Jeff.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
If you want to go the used/vintage parts route, download the Rolls-Royce & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation I maintain and start calling around.

Unless you simply must have a Lucas relay to keep the car original for showing, many "supermarket" SPST relays are available at a fraction of the cost. Even Radio Shack's website offers one.

You can also substitute a SPDT relay and simply not connect any line to the pin that's normally closed when it's not energized. On a Bosch-style contemporary relay that's pin 87a. On a Lucas SPDT relay that would be either pin C1 or C3; you'll have to check which has continuity with pin C2 when the relay is not energized to definitively determine which one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts