Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, found this while checking oil. What do these wires do? They were disconnected. Many many thanks, Marko

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply
Wood Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply
Vehicle Train Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Grey Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The wires were destroyed by mice. I'm sure there are other areas with the same damage.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The wires were destroyed by mice. I'm sure there are other areas with the same damage.
While I agree absolutely with your diagnosis, I don't with your conclusion.

Visual checks definitely have to be made around the car, but it's entirely possible to have a "rogue chewer" that just hit those two wires and then wandered off.

I've once had a mouse nest in the trunk of one of my cars but that never touched a single electrical wire that I could find, and, believe me, I looked.

I also suggest that anyone who is putting their car away for a long winter's nap strategically place mouse killing bait in both the trunk and around the engine bay on the available ledges, particularly near the firewall. They'll prefer that to wiring in the vast majority of cases, and it tends to "get rid of the problem" along with it. I've been lucky in that I never had one crawl into the duct work and die.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Perhaps you got lucky. I've seen them where ever they can shelter.
A very good deterrent is using mothballs under the car or conventional Victor traps with peanut butter or chocolate syrup for bait.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Also, look under the carpets. Silverfish like wool.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
You do not simply connect wires to see what happens. That process will get you in trouble one day. The schematics show the route.
Hint: It is not the bonnet lamp.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You do not simply connect wires to see what happens. That process will get you in trouble one day.
This is a serious question, without a trace of snark intended: What are you proposing?

In this situation, one can very clearly see the insulation covering on the severed wires and how they should be reconnected. White goes back to white and yellow with green tracer goes back to yellow with green tracer. That's all you'd get from the wiring diagram (as far as the reconnection strategy goes) but it would tell you in advance what you're reconnecting (which I won't deny is helpful to know).

It's either reconnect them, correctly, or don't. There is no in between here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts