Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
RR SS II 1978
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to do a bit of a search on the matter yet have not found an answer (yet), nor a forum thread (or at least not quickly, the search gave a lot of hits).

About to receive a SS II from 1978 RHD with only a right side mirror. As I am thinking of driving it locally I was looking into adding a mirror on the left for safety reasons. Yet when I reach out to several parts shops they come back that the SS II was never delivered with 2 mirrors. I have found several examples that do show 2 mirrors. Is that just for looks or did they manage to find a working opposite mirror? Or did they use it of a different vehicle?

SS II 1978 with 2 mirrors

Anyway I would really like to consider a second mirror so any help is appreciated.

· Registered
RR SS II 1978
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Alan, thank you for your comment. Had contact with Flying Spares and they were the ones (among others) that there are only "driver side" versions. Meaning the RH mirror is only suited for the RHD and the LH for the LHD. Just putting a LH mirror on a RHD would be for looks only or maybe a little help for parking, yet it is not a "working" passenger side mirror.
Used Google to come up with an answer. Yet I hardly find any parts (at all, or at least compared to Land Rover) however plenty of photos showing 2 mirrors....

Edit: The Introcar advice seems to be spot on. There I do find mention of convex glass. Thank you for pointing me in this direction.

· Registered
4,870 Posts
The second mirror was optional. The mirrors are terrible to operate and not electric as you know. The correct installation requires drilling the correct hole in the door cap and door frame. Quite frankly, not worth the effort.

· Registered
42 Posts
I have to agree with Wraithman here. I have a 1973 Shadow and went through the same thoughts as you are having, no left hand mirror made parking in the garage a little awkward. There is a modification some do whereby you can fit a Jaguar mirror I think, with a remote controller type joystick in the capping. After all the research I concluded that it just wasn’t worth the hassle, drilling holes in doors and capping, so I decided to live with it. It didn’t take long to get used to the fact that I only have one mirror if that’s any consolation.

· Registered
RR SS II 1978
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Steven, thank you for your thoughts. It wasn't just for having a better overview when parking, more general movement in traffic, specially in the city with everybody shooting all over the place on bicycles.
Yet indeed if I see all the hassle needed it is tipping strongly to abandon the idea.
And besides that as the time comes closer that I will physically get hold of the vehicle and all the issues that there might be, as I go through so research (also here), the 2nd mirror might be forgotten as I will be tackling all the issues... ;-)

· Registered
1971 Bentley T
121 Posts
My Bentley T had no outside mirrors when I bought it. I installed two stainless steel mirrors mounted on the outside skins. I was worried about drilling holes in my precious new car, but realised that it is not difficult to repair a 1/2inch hole if it it all went sour. I have never regretted it, but of course. if you already have a right-side mirror it may be difficult to get a matching one. But remember - "it's only a car".

Alan D.

· Registered
RR SS II 1978
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Alan,

Of course "it is only a car" and my ambition is not to have it back to factory or concours status. Maybe to dislike of some. The consideration started from a safety point. Yet I must say, although it will be a driver and not display, a Frankenstein is a bit where my OCD might get the better of me. I have seen plenty of RR SS II with 2 mirrors that seem OEM. One the parts list I also come across the convex glass. So if I would go down the route it would be that one. Yet with all the hassle and the expense (! my god) I probably won't.
On my LR I did decide to put more mirrors on it, also original (maybe not to the car) yet there the ease and cost were almost a non brainer, unless you wanted to have it concours correct, you just did it.

· Registered
941 Posts
A previous owner fitted Jaguar XJ6 electric mirrors to my car. I didn't realize they were non-standard for years. I have left them on - they don't impact the overall essence of the car. I'm not a stickler for originality and have fitted, over the years, a modern starter motor and alternator. I don't believe these mods change the character of the car. XJ6 mirrors is an option KiloKilo could consider if safety is a bigger issue than originality.

· Registered
RR SS II 1978
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dounraey I will see and consider it. As well the starter and alternator might be something that needs looking at. The only thing is of course the more you alter the better you need to know what you did so you know what to do or replace in future. As such I will have to have a look if the previous owner(s) didn't already got creative ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts