Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am most curious to know the original dealer and buyer of my 71 SWB Bentley and any interesting story that may go with it.

It is LHD, and has metric instruments. It does not have US-spec emissions nonsense, and will run circles around the 2 US-spec cars I owned in the past.
I am curious as to why the performance is so different. It will smoke the tires with relative ease, and seems to burn less gas than others.

The serial # is SBX12517
It seems to have been maroon in color, but is now black and has been converted to Rolls bodywork.

Thx!
Ken

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Just in case you're ever considering joining the RROC and showing the car, conversions from Bentley to RR trim (or vice versa) will immediately disqualify the car from judging. It's a strict no-no and is typically done in the Bentley-to-Rolls-Royce direction.

If the cars you had prior to this one started their lives out as RRs this could explain a great deal about some of the differences in performance that you've experienced, as Bentley has a far more sporting "tuning" overall. The lack of emissions control will also boost performance somewhat. I have a European spec Shadow II but have never driven a US spec car, so I have no basis for comparison.

Your best bet for getting a treasure trove of information about the first part of your car's life is to write Barbara Westlake <[email protected]> to inquire about buying the build sheets for your car. The RREC has an archive that includes full build sheets for all Crewe-built cars until the RR/Bentley divergence early this decade. They're a bit pricey, but you'll get information regarding every aspect of the car's options at building and, at the very least, the dealer who took initial delivery. Very often the warranty cards are part of the package so the first owner info will be there, too.

I'm guessing the initial delivery was somewhere in Europe or the Middle East based on the metric speedometer. You'll know for sure once you have the build sheets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks Bill.

I'm not too concerned about the pedigree on the car, just like to enjoy it.

BTW, the motor says Rolls-Royce on the valve covers. Are Bentleys normally that way?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
hardhatz said:
Cool, thanks Bill.

I'm not too concerned about the pedigree on the car, just like to enjoy it.

BTW, the motor says Rolls-Royce on the valve covers. Are Bentleys normally that way?
Uh, not that it's a huge thing, but it's Brian.

There's no real need to be overly concerned about the car unless your intent is to show it or when it comes time to sell it. It should be disclosed to any buyer that this is a conversion from Bentley to Rolls-Royce.

Bentley valve covers read "Bentley". Since the engine is virtually identical otherwise, it's very easy to transplant the valve covers. In fact, this is probably quite a bit easier than doing the grille transplant and the badge transplants. I presume your speedometer shows the winged-B, unless they were *very* thorough and replaced the speedo faceplate, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vehicle History

Hi Brian!
The news about the original build sheets is terrific, thank you so much for posting this! I've got a 59 Cloud I, right hand drive, which I assume was delivered within the UK as it retains the large, UK style license plate. The plate says "MR COBB" could have been a custom plate or something to that effect, just not sure.
I believe we'll contact the representative you mention to see what sort of history may be discovered. If these cars could talk, I'm sure their stories would be quite grand.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Dale,

What is the chassis number of your Cloud?

Brian, owner of Silver Shadow II
SRH33576

P.S. to anyone looking for car history - Giving your chassis number can often be pivotal in getting that information. Many people who have owned and/or collect these cars can (and will) refer to them by chassis number and are able to rattle off prodigious amounts of information

1 - 7 of 7 Posts