Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alarm is off, and the seats don't move. It'll crank if I jump the starter relay. It then runs, but after I turn the key off, I'm back to square one, it will not crank. Car only has 34,000. miles.
Relays are all metal, originals. Do I have to have a diagnostic or does anyone have any clues as to what this might be?

·
Super Moderator
770 Posts
There is a plastic coupling in the ignition switchbox that is a fairly common fault showing the symptoms you describe. Part number is UD72522. Give Albers a call, they will have one. Get one whether that is the actual fault or not as eventually you will need one. You have to pull out the switchbox to check the wiring at the back of it, that will confirm if the coupling is at fault or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much Mr. Walters. I'll look into this too. Dying to get her on the road again, and and all replies are teaching me more and more about this magnificent car.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It could also be the infamous ignition relay, look on the passenger (right side) by the suspension turret.

I had the same issue years ago. The relay has a red diagonal marking on it.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just a case: Yesterday my car suddenly stopped in the middle of the road (at crossroads exactly 🤣 ). Engine cranked, and even started, but just after the key returned to "run" position, engine turned off. After some tries it stopped to crank and even fuel pump stopped to run. The battery was still good. The "Check engine" lamp lighted constantly. There was no error in memory and there was not possible to reset "Check engine" by removing B9 fuse (Engine ECU).
After some diagnostics it appeared, that it was loose contact at B4 fuse (Ignition). Fuse did not burn-out, but just smoked... After some service (cleaning etc.), with new fuse, the car returned to working state.
It was a surprise, as I checked all fuses and their sockets last year carefully.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm sure there was a bulletin about uprating that to 30A to try and stop it overheating!
Now you should replace the holder too it's damaged!
Mike

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm sure there was a bulletin about uprating that to 30A to try and stop it overheating!
Now you should replace the holder too it's damaged!
Mike
Now it is tidy up and is not heating (checked with Flir IR camera ;) ). Plastic part (body) looks good. However as I unscrewed it and looked at it from back, I saw that it was not the first time. There are at least two "smoked" sockets, so I think about replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts