Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

There's a "mystery" 3-way switch in the glove compartment of my Turbo R, that I haven't been able to figure out what's for.

It türns out that it's (crudely) wired to the Active Ride Control ECU, without using the socket. I presume that it's a manual override for the A.R.C., but I've switched throught the 3 positions while driving and haven't felt any difference.
Is there a way to test if the A.R.C. actually works, without having to buy the diagnostics kit?

Cheers

Es

·
Super Moderator
664 Posts
That is not factory as I'm sure you know. If the Auto Ride is not working you will have the "Auto Ride" warning illuminated in the DIP and it will beep to tell you there is a fault with it. I can switch through the different modes with my Mastercheck but to keep it in a certain mode the Mastercheck has to remain connected. I have always wanted to see if one could wire in a selection switch as you have but haven't made the time to do it. It would be interesting to see how that switch is wired in. I think you would have to find a winding road and try the same section at speed with the switch in the different positions to ascertain whether it is functional or not.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim!

I think we can be 110% certain that the switch isn't factory!
The DIP isn't illuminated, nothing beeps and no fault codes are stored, so the A.R.C. probably does work. I'll see if I can find a test road tomorrow and find a difference in the settings.

Es

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi detomaso,
I tried bouncing the corners of the car with the switch in the 3 positions, but if there was a difference it wasn't much. Also tried the 3 positions on a twisty road, but if there was a difference, it was fairly minimal.

Can you feel the system working on your car?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can't say I've ever looked out for it, once it's awoken from its slumber in spring I'll give it a hustle and see if things noticeably tighten up! If there is another way of knowing the system is working I would like to know also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts