Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the key is turned on, I can hear the fuel pumps, but all the lights and accessories aren't came to life, and the starter circuit is still totally dead. The shifter is in the park. Battery is fully charged. I read the 5002 documentacion, about starting system.
(My idea: I need to fix the problem of the anti-theft module, when it causes the starter interlock circuit to open in my car.)
I'm looking for some suggestions on where to look next? Any ideas?

Thank you so much!
Andrew

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you have original alarm/antitheft system, then it looks like turned-on immobilizer. Check archive of this forum. This is very popular issue. You could try to close and open the car with fob. It is the only way to turn immobilizer off.
If immobilizer turned-on itself, it is possible (even sure), that battery in the anti-theft ECU is dead and leaked. Repair/replace module (what is quite cheap) or omit it (what is possible in 1990-1991 cars).

Anyway, check for proper voltages at fuse boxes (all of them), just to be sure, that there are no other causes. IMHO lights and accessories should work even with immobilizer turned-on, so, it is highly possible, that there is also other issues(s). Check archive for posts about checking&cleaning of fuses and relays sockets in newly bought cars that were not used for long period of time.

I believe, you turned power on with switch in the trunk (fuel pump should not work without this too, but nobody knows what was done to this car earlier).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your quick answers!

Thank you, I will check all of the fuse boxes, and the alarm batteries.
(The car had been parked for 8 years when I bought it.)

I didn't get a fob, but the previous owner said he had already bought it without fob and the car had worked for him without it.
I think I should install another, possibly little bit modern, remote control system with fob. (Only transmitter and receiver unit of course) .
Otherwise I want to keep the car in its original condition.

The alarm sounds but I can turn it off in the glove compartment, by setting it to "alarm" mode. (I hope this is the right way to do that.)
But still in the carport makes something a "whistling sound" all the way, when I try to start it. Is this normal in this case?

·
Registered
420 Posts
So, the car was worked to the previous owner eight years ago ;)
You can buy direct replacement for remote control module with modern fob. At last it was available some months ago.
I'm not sure, about "whistling sound".

Anyway, if the car have been parked for 8 years, check all fuses&relays first, then write what exactly not work ;)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
If you have no fob, I think you have no chance to start the car.
On old alamr on those cars, when you disconnect battery, alarm goes on automatically.
In the glove box it's not to stop the alarm but to make some change for boot alarm or inside.
Read owner book for this as different depending on years.

You need fob for your alarm or repair it .
Taking it away is not the best solution.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you have the ‘old type ‘ alarm with the box under the roll top the immobilizer only cuts the blue /white wire one side goes in the blue blue and comes out the yellow.
it only stops the starter relay earthing.
find the starter relay and give it an earth and hey presto. Noimmobilizer

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just on this theme and a slightly later Clifford system on my 98 Azure you have to arm and re arm the alarm via fob every time you remove the ignition key otherwise the ignition is dead and you get check gearbox warning light. I have had the alarm module and fobs replaced by Bowlings and this is normal. The old system once left me stranded when it was overruled/spiked by local telecoms microwaves or radio masts or similar. Had to be towed away to get away from the interference zone. I know it sounds freaky but believe me, not pleasant.
On my 93 Turbo R I had the module and fobs replaced and have no issues although arming and re arming is not required. I was able to just use the key and old it in the door lock prior to replacement but this once left me stuck and immobilized.
My advice is to change the unit and get new fobs or it will bite you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
[QUOTE
Just on this theme and a slightly later Clifford system on my 98 Azure you have to arm and re arm the alarm via fob every time you remove the ignition key otherwise the ignition is dead and you get check gearbox warning light.
[/QUOTE]
On my Eight after buying a new alarm module from Bowling’s I now have to do the same thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts