Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, thank you in advance for any thoughts on this quite annoying question. I have my Turbo R in storage after pulling it on a trailer to my new town (about 1000 mile trip). The ride was bumpy at times and it seems my Turbo R has developed a slow leak of coolant from the front of the engine. I have a drip tray under the engine (in my storage unit) and I estimate about a cup of coolant dripped into the tray (vehicle not running). From what I can tell there is no coolant dripping from any of the hoses, expansion tank, or radiator and I am suspecting the water pump - the top of which appears dry as seen in the photos below. I have not had a chance to get the car up in the air and inspect thoroughly. I was curious if there are any 'usual suspects' for coolant leaks from the front of the engine? I know this is an annoyingly vague question but I appreciate any thoughts! Thank you, Mike
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
This is indeed green fluorescent, it could be indeed LHM, oil for brakes and suspension.
Your brake pumps could be leaking as when they leak the oil slowly gets there too, in the engine front.

Make sure first if its coolant or LHM. Is your coolant green like this ?

With your finger, take a drop and you should be able to be sure if its greasy like oil or just a little like coolant.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the thoughts! I'm fairly certain it is coolant (my coolant is this green color) but I agree LHM looks the same. I didnt consider pressure testing, so I'll treat myself to a new toy (i.e. tool) and get a pressure tester to see if I can push coolant out of wherever it is leaking. Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This coolant leak continues to drive me a bit mad. It just drips constantly, when parked (and presumably while driving). It leaks just enough to dissuade me from driving it more than a few miles from home, but not so much as to be really alarming - nor able to find. I put a cooling system tester on the expansion tank and it held pressure pretty well over night, confirming that I have a small leak, but I'm still unable to pinpoint the origin of this leak. I spent an hour examining the water pump with an endoscope and the water pump area looks really dry. Radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat housing also look bone dry. It is coolant, it has a sweet taste. I even went so far as to open a new bottle of LHM and taste it- not sweet....
I'm taking it to Ronnie's garage next month for some professional evaluation. I'll let you know what I learn. Thanks!

Automotive tire Hood Grey Wood Bumper

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
It is most likely the water pump leaking from the weep hole, replace the pump now before it completely fails while driving. Drips like this are a warning that it is failing. Your front motor mount needs replacing, check the rears but it is likely they also need to be replaced.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Jim and Mike. I had considered replacing the water pump out of sheer hope it would address the issue. I suspect it is the original pump and is 30+ years old at this point. I'll try that, and the radiator cap with fingers crossed. I understand there are drain holes on the side of the block as well. I dont have a lift and havent been able to find those crawling around under the car but will make a concerted effort to inspect those praying they are not leaking. Also thanks for the heads up on the motor mounts. I suspect it doesnt make a ton of sense to replace those until I get the oil pan leak under control (i.e. stop oil from getting onto the mounts). Thanks all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts