Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, back in JULY I ordered 4 new AVON Turbospeed CR228-D tires for my 1989 Turbo R from Tire Rack. They have been continually pushing the delivery date by 2 weeks, and now they are estimating these tires will be in stock at the end of October. I'm very frustrated because my existing tires (AVOCN Turbospeed CR228) are in really bad condition, the car has been parked most of the summer with only short trips to the store once a week to keep things moving for fear of the tires failing.

I'm located in Oregon USA.

My car has 17 inch wheels, likely from a different year Bentley.

I'm curious for your opinion on these courses of action (or something else entirely that I'm not considering)

1. "Suck it up and deal with it, the AVON Turbospeed tires are the correct tires and better than anything else- Tire Rack has the best price and availability."
2. "Hey guy, didn't you know those AVON tires are available from XYZ company____[ fill in this blank]__? "
3. "Just get the Bridgestone/Pirelli/etc brand tires, I recommend this exact model/type: ____"

I would prefer not to buy new wheels, as the ones I have are in very nice condition.

Thank you for any thoughts!
Mike Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
My option would always be #3. Avon tires are, in my opinion, grossly overpriced and otherwise "nothing to write home about."

It is not surprising that the date keeps getting pushed back. Just in time manufacturing has taken massive hits with the supply chain disruptions from the pandemic. And, in the tire world, one can hardly call Avon a major player on the world stage. I expect that the smaller the manufacturer the harder it has been to find alternative suppliers for their raw materials.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My option would always be #3. Avon tires are, in my opinion, grossly overpriced and otherwise "nothing to write home about."

It is not surprising that the date keeps getting pushed back. Just in time manufacturing has taken massive hits with the supply chain disruptions from the pandemic. And, in the tire world, one can hardly call Avon a major player on the world stage. I expect that the smaller the manufacturer the harder it has been to find alternative suppliers for their raw materials.
Thanks for your feedback, do you have any recommendations for a suitable tire?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
No, actually.

You're probably not going to have a wide range of choices to begin with. Places such as Tire Rack are very good for researching whether a given tire that would be of the correct fitment is the same for your driving style.

Since I have owned only SY era Rolls-Royce, and they are meant to waft along, I have no need for tires meant for "spirited" driving.

·
Administrator
537 Posts
I'm wearing Michelin Primacy and am happy with them, though I have never experienced the Avons so can't compare them directly.

·
Registered
Arnage T MY 05
92 Posts
Michelin tyres have best mileage, least tendency to flatten if not driven and superior road holding especially on wet roads.

That's a consensus opinion among my car loving friends regardless of car or age.

I don't do this for other brands but I have to admit that I'm a Michelin fan boy ... not only by appearance... 🤗

·
Registered
194 Posts
Federal SS595 Performance Radial Tire-255/55R17 102V
But it looks like that the pandemic has affected these also.

Last May I purchased 4 of these for the price of one Avon. The quality is quite high and I'm a tire snob. The other offerings in this size in the US are SUV tires.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not only tires. I tried to buy just normal carpet today. In the biggest supplier in my city there were available, maybe, 1/4 of pre pandemic offer... for next week. Even if something is produced locally, it uses Chinese components, that are missing. Oh, and prices of containers frights...

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Not only tires.
Indeed. Virtually anything you can name long ago went to "just in time" manufacturing. Inventory is very largely a thing of the past. And just in time manufacturing only works so long as consistent supply lines exist. They don't anymore, at the moment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what size/model Michelin are people running? I'm not seeing a lot of options for 255/55R17
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a New set of Avons for my 85 Spur because they were the " proper Tire" for $1500.00. Should have replaced the Michelins with Michelins, did not notice any difference at all and would have saved $500.00. As long as wt. and speed rating are in line Michelins have worked for me.

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, Mulsanne Green
95 Posts
I took a brand new set of Avons off of my ‘99 Turbo Spur. Did not like them at all. My car has 16” wheels. I replaced them with Continentals and they ride a lot better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments, I've not been able to find a suitable size tire (17") here in the USA. I've looked at Michelin, but perhaps Michelin offers different sizes in the UK? (see attached, no option for 17inch here). Equivalent tire sizes are wonky and generally unavailable as well (e.g. 275/50R17 anyone?). I've called around and the local tire shops only come up with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 (which are expensive, poorly reviewed, and for the most part out of stock). I've somewhat resigned myself to the fact that I'll wait on the AVONs due at the end of October. The rain is coming back to the Northwest soon, so I'm getting a few final days of driving in before laying the car up for the winter. It's a bit disenchanting, frankly, but owning a classic car is never easy I suppose...

Blue Rectangle Font Operating system Software

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well, if you're laying her up for the season soon, what's the rush?

Find what you want, it's certainly unlikely to take the entire winter if you're looking at one of the major tire producers, and get them on in time for spring driving.

If you want the Avons, then by all means. But if you don't, you certainly have options.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts