Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 Spur that starts and runs great when cold. If I drive the car for a bit and then turn off the engine and wait 15 minutes or so and I try to restart it I have to crank the car a good couple of minutes to get the car to restart. Also, it runs rough like a miss for a couple of seconds but then smooths out and runs perfect. The problem is not spark. Does anyone know of a fix gor this? Thanks. Regards, Joe.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
This is not my advice, but that offered by the owner of a 1988 Silver Spur that I know who experienced the same problem and wrote about it elsewhere:

"it is mostly likely one of two things: your fuel accumulator has gone bad, this holds pressure in the system and sends it down the line for starting... or your cold start injector is out. Both are easy fixes.

. . . sounds like the fix for your fuel injected cars, please take special note of what RT has to say about this issue:

This is a clasic case of the cold start injector malfunctioning.

The thermal time switch which controls it is mounted on the thermostat housing. When cold, it should time out the cold start injector via the ECU in 8 seconds (that's a long time to crank a motor, and I think that the cold start injector should time out in 3 seconds by the way). When hot, the cold start injector should be inhibited by the thermal time switch. The cold start injector only works while cranking.

If the switch is faulty, the motor will flood when hot and indeed be very hard to start, and do expect clouds of black smoke.

To check this, there are two methods.

1. Simply remove the electrical plug/lead from the cold start injector when the engine is hot before starting. London to a brick it will start first pop. If so, a new switch is all that is required.

2. Even easier is to remove the starter relay, located underhood on the bulkhead. With the ignition turned on, bridge between pins 30 and 87 with a short length of wire. The motor will crank without the cold start injector, and again should start first pop when hot. Same diagnosis: faulty thermal time switch."

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Did you change the fuel accumulator? Your problem is not related to the cold start injector, it has proven that it works when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not changed the accumulator yet. Was planning to test if the thermal time switch or cold start injectors were faulty as well. Would this not be the case if it starts fine from cold?

·
Registered
743 Posts
If the cold start injector was faulty, you'd have the opposite of your symptoms. The cold start injector is functioning fine which is why you're able to start the car when cold without problems.

Best wishes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try hot start with the throttle held wide open. If it fires quickly, your problem is with fuel getting into the intake.
Causes:
Leaky injectors.
Cold start injector operating when hot (not supposed to do that). To check this, disconnect the electrical wire and try again. If it starts quickly, you've found the problem.
And not much else.
If it still cranks too much, then you are losing fuel pressure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try hot start with the throttle held wide open. If it fires quickly, your problem is with fuel getting into the intake.
Causes:
Leaky injectors.
Cold start injector operating when hot (not supposed to do that). To check this, disconnect the electrical wire and try again. If it starts quickly, you've found the problem.
And not much else.
If it still cranks too much, then you are losing fuel pressure.
Thanks Jeff. Will try that out. Have my flame trap now reassembled some plan on doing some tests over the next few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts