Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my 1989 Turbo R runs great but usually smells of gas after driving. I've inspected the fuel tank & sender, fuel lines, fuel filter (planning to replace), pump etc and traced the only visible gas leak to a small black box on the fuel distributor. I also note some slight seeping / signs of fuel leaks from the distributor gasket which connects the two halves of the distributor. I'm about to pull the black box and inspect but wanted to see if this is a common issue and if it's as simple as replacing a gasket, or do I need to source a new black box? On a related note, I don't love the staining around the fuel distributor and was considering having it rebuilt while the car is laid up for winter. Is this kind of seepage normal or does it indicate a problem (I suspect problem). Any recommendations for a rebuilding service? Lastly, if I go pulling the fuel distributor, I suspect it might be a good opportunity to replace fuel injector seals and tidy up the 'valley', have the injectors serviced, but are there any other maintenance items you would recommend if the fuel distributor is removed?

Essentially, I don't want the car to burst into flames (I drive my kids around in this car several days per week), and I'm not afraid to address any/all known issues/maintenance items during the long, dark, Oregon winter. I do my own automotive work in the evenings, it's the most zen part of my day.
Cheers,
Mike

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Rim

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Steering part

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Steering part
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
904 Posts
That is the Electro Hydraulic Actuator (EHA), there are two O rings between it and the fuel distributor housing that leak with age. The EHA housing itself can leak internally in which case it needs replacing, if you do a search on this forum for EHA you will find posts dealing with it. Do the O rings first then see if it still leaks. The staining on the fuel distributor could be splash from the EHA leak so deal with it first. If you do pull the fuel distributor then definitely clean the injectors and replace the seals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all, I found some prior EHA discussion, and found what I believe to be the correct EHA (see image below for F-026-T03-002). I cant tell if the different EHA versions all used the same sealing o-rings? (the o-rings are available separately at Pelican Parts but they don't specify a specific associated EHA part number)- any thoughts on that? Thanks!!!
Product Screenshot Font Software Technology

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there, I did see that post but it discussed part number CD 6497. According to the heritage parts site, I have part number CD 6498 so I'm not sure the part numbers discussed previously apply to the EHA on my car. Thanks!
Font Schematic Parallel Rectangle Handwriting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a leap of faith and ordered up two o-rings from my local Mercedes dealer (at $12 each...), using Mercedes part number 012-997-97-48. I'll post up findings in the coming days. Thanks all!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I told them it was for my Bentley, and pointed out the fact that it was the German made part which failed 😆
I could have gotten the o-rings cheaper online, or subed a generic o-ring, but I dont mind spending 24 bucks to get the "right stuff" and not wait a long time for shipping. That way I can address over the upcoming long weekend and if the leak continues I wont be as likely to suspect the oring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, my 1989 Turbo R runs great but usually smells of gas after driving. I've inspected the fuel tank & sender, fuel lines, fuel filter (planning to replace), pump etc and traced the only visible gas leak to a small black box on the fuel distributor. I also note some slight seeping / signs of fuel leaks from the distributor gasket which connects the two halves of the distributor. I'm about to pull the black box and inspect but wanted to see if this is a common issue and if it's as simple as replacing a gasket, or do I need to source a new black box? On a related note, I don't love the staining around the fuel distributor and was considering having it rebuilt while the car is laid up for winter. Is this kind of seepage normal or does it indicate a problem (I suspect problem). Any recommendations for a rebuilding service? Lastly, if I go pulling the fuel distributor, I suspect it might be a good opportunity to replace fuel injector seals and tidy up the 'valley', have the injectors serviced, but are there any other maintenance items you would recommend if the fuel distributor is removed?

Essentially, I don't want the car to burst into flames (I drive my kids around in this car several days per week), and I'm not afraid to address any/all known issues/maintenance items during the long, dark, Oregon winter. I do my own automotive work in the evenings, it's the most zen part of my day.
Cheers,
Mike

View attachment 30864
View attachment 30863
View attachment 30862 View attachment 30863 View attachment 30864 View attachment 30862
If your in US there's a guy on ebay who rebuilds the fuel distrubor system and checks fuel injectors. Worth every penny. Quick and very professional.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
One of the best is Larry Fletcher owner of FlowTech. He is very thorough. For best results consider every component in the fuel delivery circuit, especially injectors, fuel distributor, etc.
Your EHA valve problem can be elusive , some have hairline cracks that weep, disguised as an O ring failure.

Reactions: PDX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there, quick update, I got the 'correct' o-rings from my local Mercedes dealer, cost was $11.50 for the pair (my above statement about $12 each was incorrect). I replaced the o-rings over the weekend but I noted the original o-rings looked pretty good. I cleaned everything up, reassembled the EHA, and started the car. Within about 10 seconds fuel started seeping out of the EHA valve where it meets the fuel distributor. My thought is that the next step is to source a new EHA, set it per the description on this forum, install, and see if the leak continues. Does that sound correct? I see I can get that Bosch part number from online sources but is there any value in obtaining from Albers (aside from supporting a valued resource)? I haven't compared prices yet. Thank you all for your comments!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
To my knowledge, it's the same part that went into just about every Mercedes Benz from 1986-1991. From the 190E to the 560SEL. New ones are about $300 and you can pick up used ones for about $50 all day.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
When it leaks it is usually a crap shoot whether the O rings were the cause and cure I often bought used ones online and have been lucky.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all! I ordered one from AutohausAZ and will post back with my results (even if resolved) for posterity's sake. Thanks again

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick question, I've looked around for EHA valve adjustment on this forum but came up blank. I didn't find it described in the factory repair manuals either. Am I missing something? I found quite a bit of info on Mercedes EHA adjustment (essentially, start with the stock setting and then go 1/4 turn at a time) but wanted to ensure there isn't some trick or rule of thumb for EHA adjustment on the Turbo R. Obviously, it's a bit of a pain to take the EHA on and off the Turbo R for incremental adjustment because the fuel lines in front of the EHA need to be removed each time. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
1 - 26 of 26 total results are now displayed.
1. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Bentley Power annoyance
• . Bosch part number EHA 2437 020 010. havnt ... tried disconnecting EHA running . Certainly
• ECU. Mercedes EHA tiny adjustment ... underside requiring EHA be removed
• . Possibly fourth EHA. boost ECU supplies ... power lines.... EHA comes fuel module.
• "Dont think EHA any external user ... speed mixture set - EHA fine adjustments.
• Arthur, Dont think EHA any external user ... response. issue EHA base mixture
Matching Posts: 11, Relative Score 100%

2. Spirit Series : Rebuild Fuel Distributor 0 438 101 032 Orings
• push . Want be sure EHA set right . Don' ... method adjusting EHA. 't be far EHA
• needing setup EHA O2 readings idle ... stable. Adjustments EHA behave expected .
• playing mixture EHA O2 sensor, mixture ... 62; Hg noticeable. EHA flying blind O2
• "O" rings EHA anyway 's
• path getting EHA sorted. Idling
Matching Posts: 9, Relative Score 81%

3. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Air Fuel Ratio Setup with EHA
• line. clearly see EHA adjustment ... increase current EHA richening mixture
• driving. Adjusted EHA / turn CW average ... 14. ish, adjust EHA 13. ish moderate
• . after adjusted EHA / turn CW. richer. ... pass after adjusted EHA / turn CW. Note
• degree adjusting EHA specific mapping be
• whine. just got get EHA set right. good day
Matching Posts: 6, Relative Score 54%

4. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Bosch 2437-020-010 EHA Sourcing fitted to Bentley Turbo R 88
• original new EHA stipulated Bosch ... leak occurred. [EHA.jpg] Stefan
• distributor EHA already fitted , ... new , old EHA . Just bit nervous
• number replaces old EHA 2437-020-010 fuel ... identify new EHA fuel distributor.
• source equivalent EHA 2437-020-010 (
Matching Posts: 4, Relative Score 37%

5. Spirit Series : EHA - What it is- How it works - How to test it
• . culprit be faulty EHA false air drawn . ... ( cables) EHA. engine continue
• introduce use EHA, test ? Also,
• management control EHA temperature coolant ... system controls EHA incorrectly.
• suggestion. problem EHA ECU? please advise
Matching Posts: 4, Relative Score 37%

6. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Turbo R - splutter under load
• current setting EHA EHA pressure screw
• dumps fuel, EHA 150ma going . ... injector shuts . EHA drops about 75ma
• . Cold warm okay EHA dumps plenty fuel. ... head 6MA ( EHA). Mainly
• sensor lot fuel mix EHA. Best getting ... measuring current EHA. 15 Seconds start
Matching Posts: 4, Relative Score 36%

7. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Inlet Compression Turbine Nut
• . Blasted EHA valve. Reading Merc ... fuel distributors EHA's Ethanol
• . fix leaking EHA shold be able give
• . Hopefully problem EHA, problem almost
Matching Posts: 3, Relative Score 27%

8. Silver Cloud & Bentley S : SSIII coolant
• elastomer). -EHA substance all ... fail time ( -EHA concentrations high
• chemistry ensure -EHA free formulation. ... formulations use -EHA claims, . best way
• ( words, -EHA free) extended ... includes -EHA, be problematic
Matching Posts: 3, Relative Score 26%

9. Silver Shadow Series : Shadow coolant brand names in Australia
• 's high -EHA, hard find days &#
• cars, provided -EHA, don't. posts
• re DexCool contain -EHA, unwarranted. '

10. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Fuel Pressure Problem
• difficulty setting EHA. happy AFR readings ... 've set EHA mixture means range
• fuel based current EHA amount fuel
• based enrichment EHA current. [Average

11. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Changing Coolant - Refilling Specifically
• 2011. formulation -EHA free [ MSDS/SDS ... states -% -EHA] , manufacturer
• side" eyes -EHA-free long-life
Matching Posts: 2, Relative Score 18%

12. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Air flow potentiometer problem
• aspirated cars. EHA. car starts idles
• thought K-Jetronic EHA. see graphic shows

13. Spirit Series : How to adjust 1993 Spirit II emission mixture?
• post "EHA - - works - test &#
• operation. Check EHA correct operation.

14. Spirit Series : Turbo R KE2 AFR Map 1988
• Fuel Ratio Setup EHA" topic. Noticed ... problem richening EHA bring distributor
• temperature EHA base current ... extra enrichment EHA almost certainly be
Matching Posts: 2, Relative Score 17%

15. Miscellaneous: A WARNING ABOUT COOLANTS
• . far coolants go, -EHA be avoided silicone ... check , . 've -EHA-free long life
• appear linked use -EHA, plasticizer

16. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Bentley Turbo R 88 Pressure Regulator Bosch
• . engine bay near EHA fuel distributor.
• current manual EHA full load map thing

17. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: What does this plug do?
• hydraulic actuator.EHA. regulates fuel ... be fault telling EHA richer fault EHA .
Matching Posts: 1, Relative Score 9%

18. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Mixture control error message
• lean". checked EHA doing works fine ... richened engineECU EHA? mean mixture reach

19. Spirit Series : Air flow potentiometer voltage
• ,000 km. parts wear EHA lambda sensor ... . measure current EHA engine warm. value

20. Spirit Series : Threads to 2015: Turbo R Running Rich
• wrong acting EHA varies fuel flow.

21. Silver Shadow Series : Threads to 2015: Another mystery vacuum hose
• antifreeze (non-EHA formula) 't

22. Miscellaneous: Engine Oils and Fluids in General
• " formulations -EHA, removed virtually ... antifreeze, also -EHA-free long-life
Matching Posts: 1, Relative Score 8%

23. Spirit Series : COLD START PROBLEMS on my Mulsanne S 1992
• actuator (EHA) regulate
Matching Posts: 1, Relative Score 8%

1 - 20 of 21 Posts