Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a 1988 LHD Corniche imported to UK in 2017 from California. VIN SCAZD02A3JCX24256. When the hood is closed the heating works well. When I open the hood is open there is only aircon air no heat. There is an audible click when teh hood settles in the open condition. I would like to have heat when the hood is open. If I disable the switch will this work and where is the switch? Is this normal behaviour? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have recently acquired a 1988 LHD Corniche imported to UK in 2017 from California. VIN SCAZD02A3JCX24256. When the hood is closed the heating works well. When I open the hood is open there is only aircon air no heat. There is an audible click when teh hood settles in the open condition. I would like to have heat when the hood is open. If I disable the switch will this work and where is the switch? Is this normal behaviour? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi
On my 86 Corniche II I see no difference in Air con or heating regardless of if the roof is up or down.
I have not seen anything mentioned about that in my hand book either - but mine is one of the first Corniche 2s made - and they are not all the same. EG mine doesnt have ABS, which most Corniche IIs do.

In the hand book it says the air con only blows out of the vents near the windscreen (not the big vents in the dash,) but the heater should work through all the vents.

In reality:
The air con seems to dry the air rather than make it cold, so its OK for keeping the screen clear on damp days, but massively underpowered by modern stands to keep the cab cool on a hot summer day. But why would you have the roof up on a hot summer day? With the roof down, the air con has no where near the power to keep an open air cab cool - so sit back and enjoy the fresh air.....

The heater is not powerful, but is enough to keep the chill away with the roof up or down, but no where near as effective as in a modern car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm assuming that everyone here is talking about the soft top and not the hood (bonnet).
In RR verbiage, "hood" is the soft top. Engine is accessed through the "bonnet". Rear of the car is the "luggage compartment".

Have a look at TSD 4701, page 28-18 :

Item "65" inhibits (??) the A/C upper air sensor when "hood" is down.
Imho, this means "hood" interacts, one way or another (??), with the A/C system.

To date, we are still lacking a proper Corniche/Corniche II A/C wiring diagram.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've sorted it. The microswitch was just behind the headlining on the RH side at the back where the hood folds down. Bent the lever down so it can't switch and now I have hot air with the hood down. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts