Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right wiper arm would not wipe and I found that the splined male shaft post of the wiper motor extension had worn down, as had the female splined shaft of the wiper mechanism that the rubber blade fits into. A fix of duct tape was only temporary, regardless of how tight I torqued the 1/2 inch nut, so I removed the blade mechanism, removed the tape, cleaned the splined male and female portions and applied Loctite 680, which is a retaining compound, to both surfaces . So far it has held after drying overnight, even though the 10 ml bottle I have says "use by 6/10". From memory, I recall the Loctite literature stating it will make up 0.010 to 0.020" on loose shafts. I also recall that to break the bond of the Loctite, you apply heat of about 400 F.

If I can remember, I will post an update after more extensive wiper use. There are likely similar products made by others, but I think Loctite was the initial developer of these types of products.

:angel:angel:angel:lol::lol::lol:

Larry Benson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
Sounds like loctite "Red" definitely need heat to expand the metal and break the adhesion. Used in racing and critical applications
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top