Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, Guys I'm new to the sight thought you might enjoy these pics of a 1987 Bentley. I own a restoration and special interest auto shop in Ohio.
The owner requested the car be turned into a roadster and given a fresh look and feel.

here are a couple of pics before

We disassembled the car. These cars are unibodies, so it was necessary to install a tube frame inside the unibody and behind the back seat to give it structural strength and add protection for the passengers.

Here is a pic with the roof, deck lid and tops of the rear quarters removed for recontouring.

Restorations, Rods and Customs
1530 Casstown Sidney Rd.
Troy, Ohio 45373
937-339-8229

www.autorestoration1.com

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Looks like a fascinating (and difficult) project!

Do you have photos of the rest of the tube "frame insert"? I'd be curious to see how this was carried through the rest of the car for structural stiffening.

All I can do is beg you to use canvas for the top, not Everflex (AKA, vinyl). I always hated that!

Also, any plans to potentially rearrange the rear doors to be hinged from the rear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here are some pics of the tub frame install
this view is before work began

the unibox runs the length of the car and is hollow

we then installed gussets in this space

bend up the tube to fit

as the tubing was installed then the top half of the gussets were added

also the center post has tubing added to it and a gusset placed at the base of the post. After completely installed then a layer of sheet metal was installed to cap the rocker panel so it would appear factory.

seat area after installation

Restorations, Rods & Customs
1530 Casstown Sidney Rd.
Troy, Ohio 45373
937-339-8229

www.autorestoration1.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts