Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I am a new member and have a 1986 Silver Spirt that keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse. My mechanic traced it to the UD23543 sensor / relay that has burned internals. I cannot locate the part but was told it can be bypassed. Any suggestions on how to do this or who does this? Or any sources for the part.
Thank You!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
"The usual suspects," that is, Introcar and Flying Spares, do offer them but at this juncture it appears that new ones are made of unobtainium. But they are very likely to be able to be rebuilt by someone who has skill with electronics and small circuit boards, as that's clearly what's going on with a number of suppliers.

As to bypassing it, I'll leave that to someone else. It may be entirely possible, but I don't have a wiring diagram and given the number of terminals on this thing it would appear to be a non-trivial exercise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You. I wonder if the Non-US version, part # UD22783 would work in a US car? Those seem to be available.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd call Albers (Bentley Zionsville - 317-873-2360) and speak to Rusty. I bought a ERS for a 20,000 series car last year from them. It was their last one and a bit expensive ($670). They may have gotten another and can tell you if the substitute part will work. Given its intended function, I highly doubt it can be bypassed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Contact someone like WESTMINSTER AUTOS here in the uk. There a BIG rolls Royce /Bentley breakers. And they post worldwide.
used they a few times. ALWAYS top service.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
As far as I know the only purpose of this is so you can't engage the starter if the engine is running? Seems a lot of money for a relay.
Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hello All, I am a new member and have a 1986 Silver Spirt that keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse. My mechanic traced it to the UD23543 sensor / relay that has burned internals. I cannot locate the part but was told it can be bypassed. Any suggestions on how to do this or who does this? Or any sources for the part.
Thank You!
The ERS bypass I found in the workshop manual (I had to do this last week to diagnose a starting issue I’m dealing with) involved taking the sensor out (one screw), disconnecting its plug socket, and putting a bridge wire across the Pink to White/Pink sockets on the plug. This creates a hard link to power the fuel pump without needing to go through the ERS.

You can find the ERS behind the fuse boards under the glove box. It should have a label on it so it’s easy to identify. If you take out the two screws at each end of the fuse board it’s easy to lower enough to get to the screw holding the ERS on the backboard behind it. I found it much easier to disconnect the socket plug and insert a bypass wire with the ERS off the board. Spent hours of unsuccessful fiddling trying to get the plug disconnected with the ERS in place, so strongly recommend this method.

FWIW I’m completely new to auto electrics so this has been a learning curve. A basic electrical kit with varying end connectors and different wire gauges will serve you well for this sort of stuff. Mine cost $30 and I’ve been building all kinds of relay connectors really quickly which make this sort of job really easy and quick.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thank You!
The ERS bypass I found in the workshop manual (I had to do this last week to diagnose a starting issue I’m dealing with) involved taking the sensor out (one screw), disconnecting its plug socket, and putting a bridge wire across the Pink to White/Pink sockets on the plug. This creates a hard link to power the fuel pump without needing to go through the ERS.

You can find the ERS behind the fuse boards under the glove box. It should have a label on it so it’s easy to identify
Font Cable Electronic device Rectangle Box

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
i WILL TRY IT TOMORROW.
ONE QUESTION, AFTER I INSTALL THE JUMPER, DO I PLUG THE RELAY BACK IN, OR NOT?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts