Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks, New Member here. Please let me know if I violate any forum conventions, as I have no desire to tread incorrectly.

I have a friend (yeah, right) who inherited a 1983 Rolls Royce Corniche Coupe. She immediately rented a barely climate controlled small garage in which to store the car, underneath a car cover. Ten years later, the garage is being sold and she needs to move the car. (Enter Murphy) Unfortunately she cannot find the key or title - they are safely hidden where no one would find them.

The garage entry is narrow with about 8 inches on each side of the vehicle. The vehicle is only accessible from the rear. I can open the doors, the bonnet and the trunk. I have a replacement battery and an uncut key. Reading elsewhere in this forum, I believe if I hook up the new battery and insert the key blank, even without turning the ignition to ON, I will be able to move the automatic transmission to neutral, which will free the wheels. Can someone confirm this?

If that works, I'm home free (the front wheels are straight) and can roll the car out and onto a tow truck.
If that does not work... ugh! I've previously had a tow truck out there but they could not find any hook up points to forcibly tow the vehicle out and up onto the tow truck. With the new battery, I can at least jumper the body riser (air system) because it is also in the trunk. Which should make a hook-up easier.
Does anyone know of any tow points which can be used from the rear?

Ok, that's a lot to ask for the first posting on a new forum, but I appreciate any advice you all may have.
Thank You for your time!
Ed

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
RR cars do not pull or hook up from the rear. Significant damage will occur. Move the vehicle out enough to hook up at the front lower triangle arms outward near the wheels. You will most likely have little or no braking ability so chocks will be needed to prevent a run away situation. The motor runs the brake pumps and the accumulator stores braking pressure and both will definately need attention all these years. If the car goes to a shop, make sure the tech is familiar with RR systems, it is unlike conventional systems.
Where is the car located? I am looking for a Corniche coupe.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Jack the car up and place wheel dollies under the rear wheels. Then use axle straps like this to pull the car out. You should be able to find a safe location to wrap it from under the car. I've strapped a few down that way on a trailer with no problem

Product Sleeve Sportswear Font Electric blue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the extremely quick reply Wraithman. I was afraid this would be the situation since the first towing attempt yielded nothing ( the driver definitely knew what he was doing) At least the front lower triangle arms provide come purchase. Any thought on possibly towing the car out of the garage from the rear using the front arms? Likely have to pad the straps to prevent any undercarriage damage and jumpering the air system should at least get an arm under the car. Again, Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick reply alabasi ! The first towing foray was done with the air system inoperative so we only had a few inches to look. This is going to be "plan-B" since the tow truck driver was extremely squemish about hooking up to anything he could see. The other requirement is the dollies and they are a must for this type of attempt. Nice to know that if we are really careful we might not totally decimate the undercarriage.
Ed

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Here are the lift or floor jack spots.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If this car is destined for sale. Please let me know, Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the Video location. I am supposed to be seeing the owner over the weekend. I will ask her and let you know either way.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply alabasi ! The first towing foray was done with the air system inoperative so we only had a few inches to look. This is going to be "plan-B" since the tow truck driver was extremely squemish about hooking up to anything he could see. The other requirement is the dollies and they are a must for this type of attempt. Nice to know that if we are really careful we might not totally decimate the undercarriage.
Ed
There's no body riser air system, there's hydraulic self-levelling rear suspension that keeps the rear level when weight is placed in the rear of the car. If you can get access to the gear selector on the side of the gearbox you could disconnect it and manually move the lever to select neutral. A blank key won't work as it won't turn on the ignition. If you get the car's VIN number you might be able to get a key cut at Albers in the USA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Shadow11. Unfortunately the car is too low to reach the gearbox. Thanks for clarifying the uncut key won't work (drat!) We do have the VIN so if the locksmith coming to try to make a key on the spot doesn't succeed, I'll look up Albers. As many options that are available to me increases the probability of a good outcome. I know very little about a RR but and learning fast due to you folks on this forum. Shadow11 - I very much appreciate the advice.
Ed

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
You could remove the glove box lock. The code is the same. The ignition key has a groove on one side that the glove box key does not have. If you can remove the lock, you will need key blank 62HE from Ilco. There are other co's that have blanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I too had very limited space to access the car. To make matters worse, the wheels had frozen in position and the car would not roll. Wheel Dollies saved the situation. My tow truck driver had a set, and I was amazed at how well they worked. Within a few minutes, he had the car out of the small garage.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The dollies, or sometimes called skates, that have the hydraulic pinch mechanism is one of the best tools for a tow operator. Move and lift. Make sure the rear tailpipes clear the ground. Many have a flat spot on the tips' lower edge due to dragging. I have a set of skates in the shop and they can be a lifesaver when looking for space.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: Saturday: met the locksmiths, who removed the trunk tumbler and took it back to their Bat-Cave.
Sunday, (today) Locksmiths called and said they think they have a working spare. Met them at the location about 1 hour later. Key rotated perfectly. Put everything back together, added a new 450lb battery (egad that sucker is heavy), found the battery cutoff switch also in the trunk. Turned the key and Lights! Crank! but no Vroom. Hey, not bad overall! Now we can continue with the easy branch of plan B - move trans to neutral, roll the car out of the garage and winch it up on the tow truck from the front. Side point, cranking the engine does pressurize the brakes (at least enough to get it on the truck). So a few big wins for today - but the games` not over yet. After we get it to the new place, it needs to get brought up to speed.
Wraithman, thanks for the added dolly advice. The new storage place has mentioned to the owner that they might be interested in buying. I think they want to see how the move goes and what overall condition the car is in before they move. I told the owner that you're interested and they will keep the information and as I know, you'll know (one way or the other).
Jim Walters, haven't used that trick in 30 years - completely forgot about it. Would have done that next and probably floored them. Thanks!
NOTE: Madeneed to update to the car profile. The RR is a rag top, not a coupe. Top is about 15 years old but the car wasn't driven much since he top was replaced - owner died soon afterawrd.. Rear window is clear as glass.
AGain, many thanks to everyone on this thread. You all have been extremely supportive!
Ed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts