Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Corniche Convertible #05039; 1960 Austin Healey 3000
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a proud new owner of a 1982 Corniche. I am at a loss about the lockable compartments in my doors. They both are locked and I I have no key (does it take a key different from the ignition that doesn't fit). Also, it appears the door my slide vertically - or does it open out? Further, what is "supposed to be" inside these two compartments - tools?. I found nothing in my documents about this factory accessory or any literature about factory installed accessories.

·
Registered
159 Posts
First, they contain cocktail requisites - flasks and glasses. The doors slide up and down. It would be a different key than the ignition (you wouldn't want the valet drinking the McCallan 25 after all). They should be just yale tumbler locks and a locksmith should be able to make a new key for you if you take him the car. There may be key number on the build sheet from the Rolls-Royce Foundation too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is my wife's all-time dream car - got it for her in early December. Waiting for the temps to get up to 50 so I can begin detailing the paint. Thanks for the info - hopefully, the McCallan is still in there along with the flasks and tumblers. If not, I will restock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got car to lock smith - no luck there - he couldn't get the job done. Checked build sheet - no key number listed cocktail cabinet. I will double check to see if they listed a butler key number. I'm wondering if there might be such a thing as a master key available from Albers. Seems like there has to be a way to them open vs. taking the door apart. Getting kind of thirsty thinking about using the flask and cocktail glasses!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I continue my search for access to my beverage compartments. Reached out to two sources in the UK - nothing. Since neither ignition key will even begin to enter the lock, I am thinking there has to be very different key used. Probably as the last resort I will remove the door panels and try from that end. The previous owner had the front seats and door panels redone - I asked it the upholsterer may have had a key - nothing. The mystery continues.

Any chance anyone else has these door beverage compartments and can let me know what the key is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got my car over to The Rolls Connection in Kent for a "once over". Soon as I get it back will try another locksmith.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it possible another owner may have a RR Corniche with lockable "requisites compartments" w/keys that could send me close-up pictures of the front and back of the key? This seems like a silly issue, but one I would like to resolve. Other major issues are now in the hands of a legitimate RR/Bentley Shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Success - found an excellent locksmith - had my requisites doors opened in two minutes. Now, all I have to do is drive to his shop where he has a larger selection of blanks to make keys from. The great news is that the two flasks and 4 crystal glasses were all there and unused! Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WELLLLLLL! Seems I spoke too soon. Just got back from the locksmith shop and after trying about 100 key blanks, none worked. I thought of removing the door panel and removing the lock, but on examination, it is not a simple process.- screws front, some with nuts and one has a spring for some strange reason. Sooooo, it is back to researching and reaching out to find someone who may have a "Requisites compartment" along with a key who would send me what the key brand and blank number is. Sheesh! I'm resolved that owning these old cars and keeping them running and finding parts is a slow slog - sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts