Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 Silver Spur in the showroom that will start but the engine will not idle up or accellerate. It ran fine when we added it to our inventory. looks to have new distributor cap and new spark plug wires. Anyone know what i need to look for to get it running better?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
It sounds like the fuel pump has died (or very nearly died) if the car won't idle. That's definitely something to check as a starting point, particularly if the car will crank but not start at all after having worked quite well.

These cars are notorious for issues with fuses and relays, too, so make sure that you've got power at both sides of the fuel pump fuse.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The engine runs stationary? then spray WD40 silicone on the accelerator mechanism near and at the entrance of the carburettors. i had it stuck too after not use for a year.

Not running smooth? Check ignition contact points. Always change this together with the condensator.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it is a fuel injected car it could well likely be the fuel distributor. Very expensive from Rolls-Royce (US$3,500) but several companies will re-build for about $500.

If a European spec carburettor car, then you need toc heck all filters (replace those at carbs) and possibly a carb kit.

Rodd Sala - Park-Ward Motors
http://park-ward-motors.com/

·
Registered
221 Posts
1981 SILVER spur

Just to pick up on point raised 1981 cars don't have points or condensors ignition systems went electronic in 1975 end of shadow 1. early Spirits are notorious for fuel pump problems caused by dirt getting into pump, filter is after pump. tops used to fall off internal filter in tank thus allowing all the dirt sediment to get into filter. rotary pump would them cause problems as discribed . just fitting new filter would solve problem for short while then fail. intank filters were nearly impossible to remove on these car when they were only couple of years old so wouldn't like to try and remove it after 30 years. if main filter under car is very dirty would be pointer to this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts