Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can you point me in the direction of a solution to the below issue I’m having with my Silver Shadow II.
There’s an intense petrol smell when the car is being driven. It doesn’t smell inside the car when the window is closed. There are no visible leaks or drips. There’s no smell when it’s jacked up and run in gear with light loads on the breaks. The smell is worse if the near side front window is open. We’ve checked all breathers around the fuel filter neck. New needle valves, new non syncable floats in carburettors (HIF 7’s). All fuel pipes are secured with stainless steel clips and bleed off from carb floats to a relief valve near side front off the engine. The petrol smell can also be detected in the boot.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
Has the carbon canister under the left front fender been checked? If the carbs were previously flooding it could be full of fuel. Is your Shadow a home market car with the fuel tank under the boot floor on the right side or in the front of the boot behind a trim panel as with other world markets? If in the front there may be fuel pooled under it from a previous leak. Fuel under the tank will soften the tar there and the smell will never go away unless the tank is removed and the tar cleaned up.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Have you checked to see whether you might have a leak of the ultra-little, ultra-fine spray type at one of the carb fuel filter caps?

The worst fuel leak I've ever experienced was when the seal on one of these caps decided it was time to fail and there was a veritable fountain of fuel being pushed out at great volume. I can envision, though, a similar situation where just the smallest amount of fuel would be leaking and being atomized at this point and where an even slightly warm-ish engine would start causing the fragrance to waft about very strongly.

Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.