Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or know where I could get UD 21542 Otter Switch for a 1979 Silver Shadow . Would like to get a used one or if there is an aftermarket one that works ? Intro car has one just pricy seeing if there are other options . Possibly need the wiring to it as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I know what it is I’m trying to find where to purchase the part used or cheaper than the website I found it on.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Did the wires snap and break the insulation at the connector? Very common due to the heat making the plastic wire jacket hard and brittle.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the heat has melted them at the connector guess not ok to drive it without this switch functioning ? I am located in Lake Wylie SC which is right outside Charlotte NC

·
Registered
527 Posts
That is simply a thermostatic switch. It is NC and opens circuit when it senses an incoming air temperature of 1°C and below to disconnect the AC compressor clutch. Just connect the two wires together that were originally in the connector to it and use it without that switch. You may have an issue with icing if you run without it in below freezing temperatures but it will have no effect on AC operation above freezing with the wires connected together and the switch out of the equation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks !!! That will be perfect would never drive in cold weather so won’t be issue . Thanks great info .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Matt

Yes, understood.
I'm new here, and a life long Jaguar enthusiast.
While quite a purist, and o course always appreciated RR, I always hated the nonsense and price gouging.
It's a shame. ~150GBP Crazy..
There just were not that many made to create an aftermarket or have leftovers as old Jaguars.

One of the many great things about the Jaguar community, they are no nonsense and really know their stuff.
There is apparently an Australian RR forum/site which I hope to look into and would recommend regardless as Australians are the best car nuts and no nonsense people around.

Anyway, a bit of looking revealed these for the old Lotus Elise/Elite.
Jaguar used a similar bulb type with only one spade connection. A ground spade could be added to the base with little tinkering. Perhaps worth experimenting. The Lotus switch is far more elegant solution methinks.

Worth a look.

FWIW
Kind regards

Does anyone have or know where I could get UD 21542 Otter Switch for a 1979 Silver Shadow . Would like to get a used one or if there is an aftermarket one that works ? Intro car has one just pricy seeing if there are other options . Possibly need the wiring to it as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tried several otter switches none of which work, nothing wrong with the wiring because if you just join them together the fan works. I have bypassed the switch and put a new one under the dashboard so that if the engine gets too hot I just turn it on. It took about 20 mins to fit.

·
Registered
527 Posts
John, the Otter switch the OP was asking about is a NC (normally closed) thermostatic switch that goes open circuit at 1°C to disconnect the compressor when the ambient air temperature is at or below freezing. He just connected the wires to the switch together to bypass it as its operation is not very relevant to his location.

By the way I'm looking for old Otter switches, both single and dual terminal. I am in the process of rebuilding them and need cores. If anyone would like to donate some to the cause, I would be happy to pay shipping to me here in Western Canada. Thanks, Jim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
John, the Otter switch the OP was asking about is a NC (normally closed) thermostatic switch that goes open circuit at 1°C to disconnect the compressor when the ambient air temperature is at or below freezing. He just connected the wires to the switch together to bypass it as its operation is not very relevant to his location.

By the way I'm looking for old Otter switches, both single and dual terminal. I am in the process of rebuilding them and need cores. If anyone would like to donate some to the cause, I would be happy to pay shipping to me here in Western Canada. Thanks, Jim.
I was under the impression that the otter switch was the bulb that switches on the electric fan when the temp. gets to high. Sorry for the error.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts