Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes folks, my 1975 Shadow — I drive her for an hour or two; then she won’t turn over. I leave her to “cool down” for an hour or so, then she starts first go. What on earth is going on?

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Opus electronic ignition unit that fits in the distributor. What do you mean when you say "it won't turn over", do you mean that nothing happens when you turn the ignition key or that the starter motor turns the engine but the engine doesn't fire up. "Turn over" would appear to have different meanings depending on location

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Sorry, missed your previous reply. OK, nothing happens when you turn the key. Sounds like a wasted battery or bad battery connections or bad starter motor connections or bad engine earth straps. If there's a battery cut-off switch that could be faulty too.

·
Registered
1971 Bentley T
91 Posts
I've just remembered why I suggested worn brushes. The same thing happened to me with my ex-Silver Spirit. After I had called the AA, because they were extra busy on a holiday weekend the car sat cooling for an hour. It started Ok and I drove home. The problem was worn starter-motor brushes.

Alan D.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'd suspect an issue with the starter itself.

It could be worn brushes, or something else.

Without the actual chassis number it's impossible to know whether this car has the old points-type ignition versus the Lucas Opus electronic ignition, since it was introduced during the 1975 model year. The SWB cars had the Lucas Opus ignition starting with sequence number 22118 and LWB starting with sequence number 22673. But even though the Opus ignition tends to just crap out once hot, there are other symptoms, and the starter still tends to crank even if the engine will not turn over until the ignition cools down and starts working again (for a limited time). For my experience with a failing Lucas Opus ignition, see: A Christmas FTP!! . . . on the Australian forums.

·
Registered
290 Posts
When the car will not turn over on the starter motor, do all the lights work, especially headlights?
If they do then that eliminates bad connections on battery and cut off switch.

Jake

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try checking your relays,I had the same problem and changed the starter(5hrs work) turned out it was a relay.Try crossing your solenoid with a spanner and see if it turns over?.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
You have a points ignition. I strongly suggest your capacitor has failed. I would replace the coil, rotor, cap, and capacitor if this has not been done in the last 5 yrs or so.
Opus ignition arrives after your chassis at 22,672

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my case, ensure wiring and connection around startemotor are clean and tight! Replace earth cable at battery to new. Often relay switches cannot get rid of their electric charge if earth cable are old. Note, electricity flowes over surface, green corroded earth cable is a sign of electrical flow handicap made worst with heat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts