Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I’m new to the forum and could use some help troubleshooting a problem with a 73 silver shadow that has been stored for about 6 years. Car is in excellent condition, had been serviced regularly over the years and has 20k miles. The story goes like this…. I was called in to get it running so the owner could sell it (he inherited it). Looked it over, Put a new battery in it, and cranked it over. Started but shut off immediately. Found fuel leaking out the overflow tube and stopped there. Read a few threads on your forum which helped. I have since cleaned out the float bowls, cleaned the carbs and checked all associated vacuum hoses, wiring and linkages. Now no fuel leaks out but the symptom is the same starts right up, then shuts off immediately.
I have the factory manuals but I’m not sure what to check next. Suggestions???

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
Either the anti run on valve is stuck or the ballast resistor is faulty. Just pull the hoses off the float bowl vents to eliminate the anti run on (anti dieseling) valve as the issue. Bypass the ballast resistor and hotwire the coil to test for faulty ballast resistor. My bet is that it is the valve, your symptom is the classic sign of a faulty one.

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
If it has been sitting 6 years make sure you have brake pressure before you attempt to move it on its own power. Search this forum for "brake pump down test" to determine how much nitrogen charge you still have in the accumulator spheres. Also make sure the brake master cylinder pushrod has free play and that the piston is not sticking in the bore, if the car has sat 6 years there is likely corrosion in the aluminum bore of the cylinder which will jam the piston causing the brakes to drag. Caliper pistons will also likely be dragging too unless it was stored in a climate controlled garage, even then they could have corrosion on them causing them to fail to retract after application.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I'll second Jim's suggestions on both fronts. LRK37110 had an anti-run on solenoid in stuck-open condition and the car would start then promptly die (unless you really hit the accelerator, and even then you could tell that it was not running as it should being given that amount of fuel).

See this post: Silver Shadow Brake Issues: Your Help Would Be Appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys….
After replacing the plugs and fuel filter, car did exactly the same thing. Starts and shut off immediately. After testing, anti run on solenoid was fine and ballast resistor was bad ( corroded terminals underneath). After removing it and installing a jumper, car starts and runs fine…. Now to find a replacement…. And get it back in!
Thanks for all your help. I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions as time goes on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts