Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm selling a beautiful 1971 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow LWB. 1/2280. It's right hand drive and runs with 121,000 miles all original documents since it was imported for the 1 time owner in 1985. It has antique historical plates as well as original wax kit. I'm looking for a buyer in the U.S so we don't have to deal with all of those logistics. It's located in Pennsylvania where the historic plates are from. Needs to go 18k obo. You won't be disappointed.
Email [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Sorry for the reality check.........there are great cars out there for far less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the reality check.........there are great cars out there for far less.
There is a big difference between what I've got and what you showed, "greater" is a judgement each individual makes and I'm not here to put down anyone to make my car seem more impressive, I know what it is, the LWB makes a big difference and being left hand drive makes it even more rare for someone in the US that knows there cars not someone who's looking for a "cool oldie" or just any "ole rollie".

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
FYI, RHD cars historically bring less money. BTW your Everflex roof is shot.
Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, RHD cars historically bring less money. BTW your Everflex roof is shot.
Good luck
I would say in the back it could use some work, otherwise it's in good shape. I could upload more pics of it to prove but I know your not interested so have a good day, I hope this made you feel better because it surely has done nothing but waste my time.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I was trying to point out the reality of your asking price. However, your time is wasted looking for 30k.

·
Registered
415 Posts
18K is much better, personally I would not pay more then 15k Canadian, there's some bubbling underneath the Ever-flex top just above the wind screen, who knows what else there is lurking.
That type of rust indicates that it spent many days out side of the garage _ the wood shows it too.
Bondo under the paint ? Rust on the rear valance as well...
Brakes and hydraulics probably needs servicing at the very least, possibly a complete rebuild.
It doesn't matter how rare the car is, it's just a Silver Shadow, even if it is a LWB LHD.

Maybe you'll get lucky with a buyer with RR fever who thinks he's getting a good deal for a RR and knows nothing about the money pit that the Shadow's are.
And in the end one can spend well over 40k and end up with very little.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
You can regularly find cars like this for under 10k . If this car has not been on the road in the last 5 yrs, expect to pay thousands for deferred maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can regularly find cars like this for under 10k . If this car has not been on the road in the last 5 yrs, expect to pay thousands for deferred maintenance.
Please show me 1 for sale thats in this good of condition and right hand drive 1971 lwb in America.. don't worry I'll wait..

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
A knowledgeable buyer will go thru your car and focus primarily on the hydraulics which is very costly to rebuild due to lack of qualified shops and techs. In 5 minutes, after testing the hydraulics, a knowledgeable buyer will know what work is needed.
Your top is shot and the wood has to be refinished.
The car is not rare by any means. Spend time on the web and you will find similar cars. Emotion often clouds the judgment of the sellers. We see it all the time.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Have you performed a BRAKE pedal test to see if the accumulators are holding a charge? When were the hydraulic hoses replaced? Brake fluid replaced?
A knowledgeable buyer will ask these questions to determine what the car needs.
Just because it stops is not an indication everything is ok.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would like to see two good photos, one of the window in the brake fluid reservoir and what the fluid looks like with the lid removed.
Is there a service record the last time the fluid was replaced and when was the last time the flexible lines were replaced ?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I’ve bought and sold a lot of cars in my time. I’ve never sold a car on an enthusiast forum unless it was stupid cheap to simply be done with it.

I think that people mistakenly think that enthusiast owners on forums over value cars. They don’t, they only over value the one that that they own. I think that what others are trying to tell you is that for $30,000 or $18,000, there are probably nicer cars out there. If you’re trying to find a buyer that thinks that RHD and LWB will make it worth more money; You’re not going to be able to ‘sell’ to anyone here.

Finding that guy is like finding a needle in a haystack, so if that's what you're looking for, I suggest that you cast a bigger net and try eBay which has a global audience. You’ll very quickly get an idea of value because serious bidders will bid what they think it’s worth and non-serious bidders will bid what they like and back out of the deal. Plus you can control the comments from the peanut gallery.

Like I said, people love a steal that they turn around and sell for gold. I run across these guys all the time. I don't know much about you but I assume by your knowledge that you're not the original owner, In which case, you've come to the right place to learn about the car, but it can only be stolen once :)

Good luck with the sale. Selling cars is not easy. This is why I'd rather dismantle most of mine when I'm done with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve bought and sold a lot of cars in my time. I’ve never sold a car on an enthusiast forum unless it was stupid cheap to simply be done with it.

I think that people mistakenly think that enthusiast owners on forums over value cars. They don’t, they only over value the one that that they own. I think that what others are trying to tell you is that for $30,000 or $18,000, there are probably nicer cars out there. If you’re trying to find a buyer that thinks that RHD and LWB will make it worth more money; You’re not going to be able to ‘sell’ to anyone here.

Finding that guy is like finding a needle in a haystack, so if that's what you're looking for, I suggest that you cast a bigger net and try eBay which has a global audience. You’ll very quickly get an idea of value because serious bidders will bid what they think it’s worth and non-serious bidders will bid what they like and back out of the deal. Plus you can control the comments from the peanut gallery.

Like I said, people love a steal that they turn around and sell for gold. I run across these guys all the time. I don't know much about you but I assume by your knowledge that you're not the original owner, In which case, you've come to the right place to learn about the car, but it can only be stolen once :)

Good luck with the sale. Selling cars is not easy. This is why I'd rather dismantle most of mine when I'm done with them.
Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hope you view some of the comments here being made in observation, not criticism of your car. As a single data point a '71 LWB left hand drive Shadow sold on BringATrailer.com this week for $15,750. The car was in very nice condition, used regularly by a long time owner and the listing provided 60 pages of service records showing meticulous maintenance. In general, a discount of 30% +/- for a RHD car in the US is a fair rule of thumb. There will be a further discount off of that (maybe $1,500-$2,000) to replace the Everflex roof. That would suggest your car to be around $9,000 less any other repair/maintenance that needs to be done. In one of your pictures it appears the key is in the run position and both the generator and low oil pressure lights are illuminated. If it's just the engine isn't running that's one thing but if both the oil pressure and charging systems are not working properly, that suggests bigger problems. Your car is a steel bumper car and those early vehicles are developing an increasing following I believe.
I agree the forum is probably not the best place to sell the car. BringATrailer, Hemmings Motor News and E-bay (many junk cars) might be better venues. There are others. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts