Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having found the price of 15" CR27 tyres just a bit frightning, I have since seen 17" and 20" wheels which are for sale - that have come of 5-stuf Bentleys.

The 20" set coming from a Bentley GT - the seller reckons the rims ought to fit my 1985 Turbo R - but I am just wondering if anyone can give me a definate "yes" or "no".

I have had some folks say "definately not" - there isn't room under the arch to put a 20" wheel on a Turbo R - and other say "not a problem - the rim is bigger but the tyre is smaller and it all fits a treat".

Is there a Bentley guy out here who can state one way or the other from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE of an Older Turbo R please. I do not REALLY want to spend £900 for a set of 20" rims/tyres to find that they don't actually fit!

Alternatively, if someone has a pair of part-worn 255-(65 or 70)-15's for sale, please get in touch!

Kind Regards
Mark

PS: Other than giving my local dealership around £112 inc vat for tracking, does anyone else know where to go - none of the high-street places with the laser alignement toys want to touch the Trubo R with a mucky stick!

·
Registered
54 Posts
First of all, I just wouldn't do it. You will change the driving dynamics the car was designed for. To me puting 20" rims on a PMC is just pimping it out. Are you sure 255 series tyres are OEM size? You can put a lot of OEM tyres on your car for the price of swaping out for larger rims. 20" tyres are also very expensive. IMHO

·
Registered
24 Posts
firstly any wheel from the arnage series onwards will not fit your car, so do not spend the money. the biggest factory rim was 18 inches , and can be found on ebay and the like, but they are not cheap.
i just put a set of 20inch forged rims with 255/40 tires ( maintaining the 28.1 inch rolling diameter required) on my mulsanne , the ride is a little firmer but definately not teeth clentchingly hard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem with my 94 Brooklands. Could not find the 15" OEM AVON tires here in US, thus settled with KUMHO SUV tires of the same size. The car rode terrible and handled like an old Lincoln. This mistake should be avoid at all cost since the car feels totally different.
Found a set of used 17" OEM alloy rims of a 1997 modle on eBay of England. Bought the set and had it shipped to US. Cost around $1800 shipped. Ran into minor issues with US Custom but Fedex helped me with paperwork to resolve it. Tire size is 255-55-17....although still can't find AVON tires here, there are Bridgeston, Perelli, Maxxine and Nokian to choose from at reasonable price.
They fit perfectly well and the car handles very very nice and quiet. I highly recommend this route if you can find a set of 17" rims off later model, say 1996 to 97. With later model rims on the car, it actually looks more updated and modern in the OEM way.
I have done extensive research and can confirm that post 1998 rims which come in larger sizes and many many beautiful design options are very attractive but WILL NOT work on pre 98 models. The bolt pattern is way off and is impossible to put on without heavy modification to the hub or some kind of scratch built adaptor.
Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been looking and found two good options...

WHEEL CONCEPTS: They have 18" wheels ready to go for pre-1998 cars with or w/o tires. 18" w/ tires is about $3700. They can also make custom 20" wheels. http://www.wheelconcepts.com/PLUS EDITION - Bentley.htm

BOZE ALLOYS: Can make any of their custom wheels to fit our cars. Any size. These are more, like $4500 for 19" without tires. http://www.bozeforged.com/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts