Best Leather Conditioner and Cleaner? - Page 3 - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 AM

Garage
I have used Renapur for many years. It does not dye but when applied after the cleaner gives a glorious sheen.
http://www.renapur.com/

Paul
Bentley Boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 PM

leather care

Be careful with Gliptone ?try a supplier of Connelly first for lasting results

Ernest Daniel Carty
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Try furnitureclinic, I've used their products to refresh the seats of my E type which were very cracked and dry from years of neglect and they came up really well, all black but without looking too new which I didn't want.
Haven't used anything of theirs on the Bentley yet but will probably get their advice for what to use.
Graham

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Another vote for Leatherique products

www.leatherique.com

Used it on the Bentley and Ferrari with excellent results. Since i live where the humidity gets very low in the winter, it also works excellent on leather goods (jackets, shoes, wife's purses, etc).

Enjoy The Drive,

Steven
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 AM

Neither of these products contains petroleum byproducts, and you are wise to avoid these, since they will cause issues over time.

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:23 AM

Garage
I tried Hyde Food from The Bentley dealer, not good...It did ok on the seats but it started to remove the "paint" from the leather on the dash roll, and on the seat backs, nothing ghastly, no one but me would notice...that stuff scares me and I never used it again, Here in the states I got a leather cleaner/conditioner from "the chemical Guys" (website) and it seems to do a good job without causing damage.

When I got hide food from the dealer I figured this is the real deal, the Connolly Hide Food or a facsimile thereof, I put it on Connolly leather and it proceeded to mess it up...oh well. Its funny because my mechanic warned me to be careful with that stuff he said " Be careful with that, it might take the paint off the leather" well, he was right.

"Gracie"
1979 SSII
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
I tried Hyde Food from The Bentley dealer, not good...It did ok on the seats but it started to remove the "paint" from the leather on the dash roll, and on the seat backs, nothing ghastly, no one but me would notice...that stuff scares me and I never used it again, Here in the states I got a leather cleaner/conditioner from "the chemical Guys" (website) and it seems to do a good job without causing damage.
The current product is named Connolly Hide Care because some idiot somewhere apparently thought that "Food" might mislead someone.

What you describe is not limited to Hide Care. As you've described, Connolly leather is not dyed in the conventional sense of the word (vat dyed leather is) but has a layer of "leather paint" applied on top of "leather-colored" leather. There is no effort to dye since the paint is opaque.

Like all paint, and particularly paint exposed to the conditions of the interior of a car and the high temperatures they can reach in summer, it ages and chalks, sometimes in a way you can see and sometimes not. It is not at all unusual for the chalked layer to be removed by the first application of any number of leather conditioners because it's nothing more than a form of "dirt" at that point and will be lifted by cleaners and conditioners. You can see this process occurring naturally as Connollized leather wears and the painted dye layer becomes thinner where it gets the most physical contact or "slide over" contact. Many call it "patina," and I think that's a good way to look at it.

Even if you redye (repaint) the leather over time the same processes occur, though you can slow them down if you're religious about conditioning your leather.

One should not be shocked if the first application of leather conditioner, particularly to the more exposed (read: top roll and edges of seats constantly exposed to sunlight) results in some removal of color. This is even more likely for long neglected leather.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 PM

Garage
I've been all around the mulberry bush on leather.

First thing is, for the definitive information on Connolly, or any other automotive or aviation leather:

http://www.leathercaredirect.com/index.php

These guys are absolutely at the top of the game and are very helpful if you speak to them, well worth a call. They are ex-Connolly and they also have some excellent products.

My own feeling on your situation, is, if you find you are removing colour with just a hide conditioner, possibly you are not removing the original colour, rather some later re-colouring someone has done at some point because some of the aftermarket stuff (eg. gliptone - never get that near your leather) comes off very easily, whereas the original colour takes some some aggression and solvent to see any removal. These cars get lots of re-colouring because dealers want them to look pretty whenever they are on sale, very often they re-colour because it is easier and quicker than actually cleaning the leather properly.

The leathercare people will also tell you what sort of Connolly leather you have in your car because it changed over the years in the way it was tanned. Apparently there was a chap called Norman who knew all the formulas in his head and never wrote them down - so they couldn't fire him. I think it was quite a crazy kind of place. Rolls were notorious for rejecting anything other than completely perfect hides - the rejects weren't wasted of course, they were just returned and sold to Jaguar or Ferrari.

1996 model year Continental R 53165
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
I've always had the best of luck with Gliptone Liquid Leather. I have used it on both of my Bentleys and several Jaguars. The cleaner cleans the leather and the conditioner leaves the leather soft and pliable. I had an old MKII Jag and the top of the rear seat was like cardboard. After several applications over a few weeks, the old leather was soft again. I swear by it.
Mark
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentleyman1993 View Post
I've always had the best of luck with Gliptone Liquid Leather. I have used it on both of my Bentleys and several Jaguars. The cleaner cleans the leather and the conditioner leaves the leather soft and pliable. I had an old MKII Jag and the top of the rear seat was like cardboard. After several applications over a few weeks, the old leather was soft again. I swear by it.
Mark
Just qualify myself about Gliptone - I agree with you, I think the cleaner is very good and the conditioner seems very good.

It's the colour product and system that is, in my view, and from my own experience on more than one occasion, on different cars - a very poor product that is very difficult to apply well and even once you have perfected the application the way it wears in a very short space of time, is really awful. Expect a high shine to develop with minimal use, and for it to pick up dirt extremely quickly.

1996 model year Continental R 53165

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode