What's The Deal with You Guyz? - Page 2 - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 PM

Garage
Hmm, What can I contribute to this discussion...well I will agree that the wiring wasn't the greatest but I'm sure they weren't thinking 40 plus years ahead, the fuel injection is Bosch so it should be easily serviced, other marques used the same system, mine is carbureted and they work brilliantly (after some rebuilding) again age as a factor and god knows the crap fuel of today, my leather is not "cracked" but is aged, again close to 40 years and original (with some connolising done), not torn, admittedly probably not as supple as day one but very, very nice for its age. The paint...original and as smooth as glass, no orange peel, no microscopic layer of robot applied paint like today's cars, yes a little cracking at the A pillars not from shitty workmanship but again age and methods of the era, can be remedied but it does not detract from the car so why waste the money. My climate control works flawlessly, and think about it, essentially a dual climate control system in 1979, unheard of! My wipers work fine, not great to begin with but they work fine and intermittant wipers in 1979! Heck, an early form of anti lock brakes too! Cruise control...cant speak to that dont use it, dont like it, I have new bellows but again its an old system so it's not exactly fair to compare it to a new car system. my car being a 1979 Silver Shadow is in itself enough of an anti theft system...no one is going to steal this thing. I am all about making modifications to improve reliability or functionality, have done many on my car but do want to keep it what it is. I for one, would be happy to answer any questions I can or share any knowledge I have. Perhaps these cars are not some peoples forte, that said, don't buy one, simple.

Cheers!

"Gracie"
1979 SSII

Last edited by jonnyc; 11-28-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 10:07 PM

Julian, You say that you don't see much knowledge flowing in you direction so far yet the only question you have raised is a rhetorical one i.e., whether or not you should stay with the forum. Only you can answer that, a high ranking CEO should be capable of making such a decision without too much deliberation!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 05:40 AM

Garage
I find it hard to believe that the original post was serious. Surely no one but a troll or someone out to cause mischief would make such a post?If so: good effort!

We buy these cars because we love them, faults and all, they are unique, special and different. Yes, RR did do things their own way, sometimes things were a throwback to a different age and very complicated (I'm looking at you rear hubs/bearings/discs) but they do last well. I have no idea about the wiring as I have had minimal contact with it - it works so good enough for me. The fuel injection (Zytec on my car) seems to be very accurate and good, fuel consumption is much better than with the Bosch set-up as is performance.

Why would you say the engines rarely work? I believe that the engines in these cars are under-stressed and designed to last and last, any problems that crop up are usually age related after all, everything ages and wears out. The electronics are no better or worse than other cars of the time: they were never designed to last 20 - 30 - 40 years and the fact that the still do work (in the main) is testimony to something surely? Anyway, have you looked at the failure rates of other cars? MB, BMW, Jaguar all seem to have dreadful problems with a whole variety of ecus/wiring/electrics.

If the original post was serious, then I don't honestly think this forum is for you. To that end, I don't think ANY Rolls-Royce forum is going to meet your standards either, we are all stuck in the mud old fogeys Incidentally, I was 28 when I bought my first RR product - a Silver Shadow 11.

Learning to spend without fear...

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:16 AM

We are several to maintain and repair our cars ourselves. Have a look at technical section and the quality of the information and work.
You should understand that your comments do not reflect this forum and the owners.
Just read the recent technical topics before trying to generalise.

Frankly, if you are not enthousiast with those extra ordinary cars, you are at the wrong place. We like our cars because we know after having spent some timeand surely money to maintain them in good / perfect conditions.

Those cars are an art of life

Jean

97 Continental R
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:12 AM

He is on a wind up he seals plastic covers for i phones his wife has run off with his brother and he ows the Bank $4 million
And just think when his car is 8 years old the battery's will need Changing and there not Cheep
It is quite good fun having Nutters hear From time to time
Maby he will give us all a free i phone Case

Bentleyman22
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 PM

Garage
If you buy a crock of s**t you must expect trouble. It is estimated that despite having been around for over 100 years 65% of all RR car ever made are still running. Surely that says something!
As for electrics you have obviously never owned an Italian car. I had a Ferrari that managed to get smoke coming out from between my wife's front legs!
Stick to modern cars with long guarantees and save the hassle but miss out on the class!!
Paul

Paul
Bentley Boy
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:21 PM

Garage
Its clear you have zero mechanical knowledge or experience,and you drive a Tesla!

Regards
Chris
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Catterall View Post
you drive a Tesla!
Hey, I'd drive a Tesla Model S if I could afford one. I know someone in the RROC-US who has one as his daily driver.

To a person, anyone I know who's driven a Tesla loves them. Unbelievable power and smoothness with the kind of quiet that you just don't get with any car with an internal combustion engine.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Garage
Hope the electrics on the Tesla are better than my Ferrari!

Paul
Bentley Boy
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley Boy View Post
Hope the electrics on the Tesla are better than my Ferrari!
That almost goes without saying.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode