RR-Dawn - WOOD Process - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

RR-Dawn - WOOD Process

Hello rolls royces & Bentley addicts,

I Have a big question for you,

I worked on my new Dawn (Rolls Royce) and i scraped the wood around the shifter. I want to repair this by my own, i'm a former ebensite and i have studies in wood so i want to ry this =)

But , big question : Do you know the process that RR had used to treat and to finish this wood ?

because for me they put not much varnish or treated coat on this wood.

Maybe they used Oil ?

thank you for your time

(i have few rubbishwood on my garage so i can do test before attack my car)

Thank you for your help and your time

gabriel

Lozano Gabriel
Dawn and Wood adepte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:35 PM

There are a number of videos on this, one in particular that I can't find.
It showed them using a 2 part fast dry lacquer, the 2 parts being the lacquer and the other part being the hardener.

A two part auto body clear coat would work well, you can use it to fill the damage, allowing each application to harden fully before applying more layers.
(and by harden fully, 3 weeks at least)

Applying too much at one time does not allow the thinners in the clear coat to escape and you get trapped air bubbles and uncured "soft" finish.

I've used clear coat with great success, it's easy to use, but it's expensive. (you can't just buy a small amount, the hardener will go to waste before you can use it up)
After filling the damage, carful wet sanding has to be done with finer and finer grits, being carful not work through the original finish.
Starting with 400, then to 800, 1000 and finally to 2000.
Be carful with the 400, you can quickly remove quite a bit with that.
You may even start with 800, depending on how much there is to remove and how bad the damage is.
Usually I use an air brush to apply the clear coat because it does set up quite fast, but in your case, a good quality artist brush should work.

I finish up with 2000 grit and then hand or machine polish with 3M Finesse-It

I would like to see a photo of the damage.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05928-Fine...=3m+finesse+it

Last edited by Jeff R 1; 10-16-2017 at 02:37 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM

It would really help if you would post a few pictures of the woodwork in your car.

You are indeed correct that with the current generation of cars coming out of Goodwood that there are a number of wood choices that are not varnished as the walnut burr (for one) veneer traditionally was. Others, of course, are.

It's helpful to see which of the wood choices the original purchaser made if the guidance is to be accurate. This thread would also be better suited to the technical assistance forums.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
It would really help if you would post a few pictures of the woodwork in your car.

You are indeed correct that with the current generation of cars coming out of Goodwood that there are a number of wood choices that are not varnished as the walnut burr (for one) veneer traditionally was. Others, of course, are.

It's helpful to see which of the wood choices the original purchaser made if the guidance is to be accurate. This thread would also be better suited to the technical assistance forums.
If that's the case, then my advise should be thrown out the window.
If RR is just using some sort of thin French Polished method of oil and wax, then that can be quite easy to deal with, but if the damage is right into the fibre's of the wood, then that's another story.

Photo's are needed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 PM

I do not know why Rolls-Royce does not make it easy to download an electronic brochure that is like most brochures in that the options for a given model are included.

This is the brochure for the Goodwood Dawn: https://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com...erview_RoW.pdf

Even though the wood options are not listed (and you can find them if you play with the configurator at http://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/) the one shown in the brochure is like many of the more recent DHCs in featuring "nautical wood" as the usual. What's shown appears to be Paldao veneer, which is very "teak-like" and since teak is never (or never have I seen it in my lifetime) varnished in high-gloss they are keeping with tradition. I suspect it is oiled, which is very commonly done for this kind of tropical wood.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode