Storing car outside year round - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Storing car outside year round

Unfortunately I do not have a garage or funds to rent one big enough. I am planning to store the car outside year round but obviously want to take steps to protect it as much as possible. Do members have any experience of using any of the following :

Waxoyl in doors and underside etc

Using an exterior car cover (but how do you prevent scratches, rust on wheels, damp patches on paint and blistering etc)

Using a folding garage cheaper type. (has anyone got one that's big enough for a silver spirit)

Just leaving it open to elements but using it everyday?

I live in the south of UK so we do get snow but not much and it's mostly raining.

Regards
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:10 AM

I would put a good quality exterior car cover.
The most important is under the car. It should not be grasse or ground, but something solid ( cement...)
Because humidity coming under the car is the worst and extremely destroying.

There are some topic on the forum regarding storage in particular conditions.

Jean

97 Continental R
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:07 AM

Garage
Lee, Jean makes a good point, My first Bentley an S2 was stored in a garage with a dirt floor. The underside was very rusty due to the moisture seeping up and into the garage. A temporary or folding garage may be a good idea if you can erect it over concrete or some kind of moisture barrier. Cer Coons are nice but a PITA to enter. Of course, you can use it as much as possible and enjoy it and just keep up the cleaning and maintenance.

Good luck

Mark

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Garage
Good coating with waxoil to the underside or waxoil/old engine oil - spray Gibbs fluid under the bonnet and on exterior parts - this is the best preservative/lubricant/water repellent on the planet - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIBBS-BRAN...120983607134if its a Shadow make sure it is dry under the carpets before storage!

Regards
Chris
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:01 PM

I too, have no garage, my Arnage lives outside, so did my Aston (not a biggie as it was aluminium and plastic) and so did my wifes Merc SL. Despite having galv panels, SLs (like Bentleys and Rolls) have an Achilles heel when it comes to rust, the rear arches. Here's what i learned from the Merc owners site to slow the arch corrosion.I'm not saying its the best or the only way to proceed but it certainly seemed to work on the SL. Its what i plan to do on my Arnage also. On SLs , Mercedes already have a grommeted access hole that allows access between the inner and outer arch. Not sure if there is similar access on an Arnage, if not i'll find a way in, probably through the boot. Fill the void between inner and outer arch , and i mean flood it, with your choice of rust preventer, ie Waxoyl etc. i read about a product called Noxudol 700, that under a long term test had blown most of the opposition away, so i used that. My old bosses advice of "the only thing you need to know about rust boy, is oily metal doesn't rust" also rang in my ear, so i filled the arch void with engine oil too. This, with hindsight, was a mistake as for months after i had oil running out of little gaps everywhere.Also on sunny hot days the car smelled like the Amoco Cadiz. If your arches are rotted through and have been filled to death in the past, i also belive engine oil can leech through the filler.Luckily on the Merc, the rust was surface rust only, so no issue. The clever bit came on how to stop the rust reforming due to water creeping under the paint from the edge on the inner part of the arch, where outer and inner arch are sandwiched together. After lightly rubbing down the lip, treating with rust convertor, priming and then re-colouring (you can do all this yourself using aerosols as that area isnt something that naturally catches the eye) purchase some black plastic Austin Mini trim (readily available on ebay). This is the stuff BL used in the 70s to push onto the wing and sill lip to cover the edge. Paint Waxoyl (or whatever) on the metal arch lip, fill the plastic trim with the same and push onto the arch so it oozes everywhere . If the plastic isnt pliable enough, dunk in warm water first, then fill with Waxoyl then fit to the car.This has the affect of sealing off the exposed lip. You'll be amazed and how well it grips also how unobtrusive it looks. Every year, pull off the trim, refill with wax and refit. I left this for 3 years without touching it on the SL and still no rust appeared. Hope this longish post makes sense, i can post a link to the Merc site (it has pics) if required, good luck
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:20 PM

I'll be the contrarian again, on several fronts.

I'd rather chew my fingers off than use a car cover anywhere (outdoors or in a garage). For all the discussion of moisture retention nothing is more effective at increasing that than an actual car cover. You get scratches, very often water marks where water pools and the cover comes in contact with the car, etc. I find it much easier to wash (and wax or clay and wax) a car that's been sitting outside than I do trying to get water marks or scratches out.

Air circulation is important, and you get scads of that outdoors. Having sun shields you can put on all windows is a big deal, though, if you want to protect your hides. Even constantly pampered hides do not take well to constant baking and UV exposure.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:58 AM

Garage
I agree with Brian - Car covers are car killers - Body wise a regular wash and polish with a quality wax will suffice - The UK sun isnt too harsh on the leather and a regular coating of Connelly hide food should protect good enough - avoid parking the car on grass or non solid surfaces for damp reasons - My Spirit stood for five years outside with no problems!

Regards
Chris
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:19 PM

A portable garage is the next best thing to a real one. They keep the weather off and the UV rays from penetrating the paint and leather.
I agree with Brian, car covers should never be used to keep the weather off, they are only good for heated garages to keep the dust off, and they should never be used for anything else.

I also agree that the car should be parked on concrete, never on an area where moisture can wick up into the underside of the frame and body.

Lee, lots of rain right ?...
You will want to keep the interior warmer then the outside air to prevent condensation happening.
Even with the windows open a crack, moisture gets trapped in areas as water vapor on warmer days, when the air cools, the water vapor condenses causing things to get wet where they're not supposed to.
Most of these areas are unseen.
Mold is another problem when stored outside.

I use one of those small ceramic heaters on low and a small fan to circulate warm air inside the car to keep things nice and dry.
The trick is to keep the interior warmer then the ambient outside temperature to stop condensation.
Mold can't grow in a dry interior.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:54 PM

I was thinking this afternoon about a carport. Some seems to be simple and affordable.
Indeed, some US thick car cover are extremely waterproof.
I never test it and hope I never have too.
I agree, covers were water go through are a disaster. For the compelte waterproof one, I am not sure. But you may be true, it could be a moisture trap.
As I only use my original Continental R cover in the parking against dust, I have no opinion but consider the others opinions.
Jean

97 Continental R
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 07:13 PM

I believe that if the car has to be parked outdoors or in a garage that isn't completely insulated it's a good idea to place a sheet of heavy duty polythene on the ground underneath the car, this helps to reduce moisture evaporating from the ground surface being trapped in the underside of the car. The polythene should extend at least one foot beyond the length and width of the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode