Silver Cloud overheating - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Silver Cloud overheating

I recently purchased a 1958 Silver Cloud. Brought here to Laredo Texas. It has a air conditioner with an electric fan mounted in front of the condensor. Having overheating problems with our 100+ weather. Have plenty of opinions, from the mechanical fan needs a shroud, to remove the mechanical fan and replace with one electric fan and shoud mounted inside behind the raditor. I would like to keep as original as posible but since its used as a wedding car it needs to be relaiable and can not over heat. I have read that maybe I should flush the radiator and engine block. Removing the radiator cap I can see good clean water/anti freeze circulating. Any other thoughts and suggestions, thanks Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Re: Silver Cloud overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I recently purchased a 1958 Silver Cloud. Brought here to Laredo Texas. It has a air conditioner with an electric fan mounted in front of the condensor. Having overheating problems with our 100+ weather. Have plenty of opinions, from the mechanical fan needs a shroud, to remove the mechanical fan and replace with one electric fan and shoud mounted inside behind the raditor. I would like to keep as original as posible but since its used as a wedding car it needs to be relaiable and can not over heat. I have read that maybe I should flush the radiator and engine block. Removing the radiator cap I can see good clean water/anti freeze circulating. Any other thoughts and suggestions, thanks Alex
as a starting point would ensure that you fit a shroud/ cowling to the radiator so that the mechanical fan is actually drawing air through the radiator to cool. would recommend that you flush the engine block and radiator, with the rad cap off you can see that the cooling is clean but you cannot see if it is circulating around the bloc. should have block drains on the block if you can get to them would be worth removing them then flushing, hopefully this will help,
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I know that a fan shroud is not original equipment, are you aware of any aftermarket suppliers or is this something that needs to be custom made, thanks for you response.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 AM

Silver Cloud overheating

If the impellers on your Silver Cloud high flow water pump begin to break down or disintegrate, your car will slowly overheat.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 AM

Thank You For Posting !!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Garage
I'm not sure if this car has a pressurised cooling system but guessing yes it is essential that the radiator cap holds pressure otherwise your system will overheat as it runs on atmospheric and boils. A simple test on the cap is easy using a cooling system pressure tester. At the same time pressure test the cooling system that will verify the head gaskets. I also have found that modern petrol makes my Jaguars run hot and I've had to upgrade the radiators with High Flow cores with 30% more vanes with good success.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 02:43 PM

Garage
I imagine a wedding car sits around idling a lot? An electric fan would certainly deal with that better.

Either way, though, I'd fit a shroud so whichever fan actually pulls through the radiator. I don't know if they're available off-the-shelf or not.

And flushing the block and radiator core might help if they're a bit clogged. If they're not, you might have to swap in a high-flow radiator core.

Cheers,
Jeff.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:34 PM

1958 will have the 4.9 litre strait six in it.
Drain the block and flush it out, chances are is that when the tap is opened, no coolant will come out.
If it does flow, that is a good indication that it's been serviced.
What happens is that rust and corrosion collect at the bottom of the block and plug the flow to the tap.

Those same particles at the bottom of the block can also collect at the bottom of the rad, blocking the tubes in the radiator.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 10:05 PM

I can't swear to the Series I's or II's, but the Cloud series III and Phantom V's DID have a shroud. A LOT of people remove them believing that there will be better airflow and subsequently a cooler operating temperature, but that may only be true at highway speed. Idle speed would most definitely increase as not enough are is being pulled through the radiator; most of the air is pulled from the void between the fan and the radiator. (Ever tried to suck a beverage through a straw with a split or break in it? Or try sucking that beverage through the straw with the straw 1mm above the surface of the beverage and note your result. Then, try to suck that beverage through the straw with it submerged in the beverage. How much air did you get in your mouth doing the latter?) Your best and simplest bet is to either locate a original shroud or fabricate one and install it onto the back of the radiator and around the fan. This will pull the maximum CFM though the greatest surface area of the radiator core, and provide the best possible cooling of the existing system. Even if you go with an electric replacement, you will STILL need that shroud!

Series3Shroud.jpg

My recommendation would be to go with shrouded OEM fan, and add an electric pusher fan to the front of the radiator/condenser. One note - NEVER, EVER mount an electric fan through the radiator core. Always mount is to brackets to the side. If you go the easy/cheesy route of mounting with those plastic tabs through the radiator core, expect you WILL have a radiator core failure within 20K-miles or less. The core is NOT designed to be stressed or support ANY weight.

-Jeffrey R. Medved
Easton, Maryland
1998 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur 66123

Last edited by JRMedved; 10-31-2018 at 10:10 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 PM

In addition to all of the above recommendations I would add that Flying Spares have available a 78C thermostat for your engine, this opens at a lower temperature than the original thermostat. With a good flush, the addition of a fan shroud and a new 78C thermostat you may find an improvement in your cooling system. Also, check the tension on your water pump belt. You may need an extraction tool to remove the old thermostat, there are no holes in the new type thermostat to fit an extraction tool so that could pose a slight removal problem at a later stage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode