Brake calliper problem? - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Brake calliper problem?

Recently front brake callipers did not fully release after moderate breaking resulting in overheating discs etc. I stopped the car for 15mins to allow cooling and then engaged reverse which released the callipers. Had to repest the process once more before arriving home.

On startup the brake light1 illuminates and goes out but brakelight 2 does not illuminate.

What id the problem and how is it cured?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 11:37 AM

I'd almost be willing to bet that you have old brake hoses and the one that allows fluid return has begun to collapse inside. The behavior you describe is not uncommon and has been repeatedly reported when that's the case. This is one reason that the next time I have to do a full system hose replacement I intend to do all with PTFE (Teflon) core hoses. The PTFE is chemically inert and will not react at all with the brake fluid, which the rubber in conventional brake hoses does, though over the course of decades, usually.

You need to take a look at the thread Silver Shadow Brake Issues: Your Help Would Be Appreciated!, and do the brake pedal test as well. If your light for system 2 does not illuminate then you have one of two problems: the bulb is burned out [which you should be able to check with the test button in the one-series SY cars or by watching the warning panel when you first try to start the car with the two-series cars] or the pressure switch has become "crudded up" over the years and is stuck open.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode