Research Assistance: Mastertech On Board Diagnostics & OBD-II - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Research Assistance: Mastertech On Board Diagnostics & OBD-II

Hello All,

Based on some recent information I've received it appears that one of our regulars here, who shall remain nameless for the moment, has succeeded in "grafting" a functional OBD-II port on to a "Mastertech Only" car and has done so in a way that does not require any cutting in to existing wiring in the loom.

I am in the process of doing research to try to put together an article on how this is done, but I need further information regarding what diagnostic port or ports appear on cars destined for various markets over various model years.

I believe that either 1990 or 1991 (and I suspect the latter) was the first model year where the Mastertech on board diagnostics became standard equipment on Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars. If I can get anyone with a 1990 and a 1991 car to let me know whether they have a Mastertech port (large, circular port that's hidden behind the knee roll door that covers the fuse board) I would very much appreciate that.

In addition, I would love to know whether or not any other port is mounted beside/near the Mastertech port on your car and, if there is, what model year and delivery market the car comes from.

By the 1996 model year onboard diagnostics that met the OBD-II specification were required by law for all cars sold in the USA. Cars that were sold there have an OBD-II diagnostic port mounted right next to the Mastertech port. I am wondering what other markets, if any, had this port as standard equipment.

The first two attached photos show a yellow port that has a black "connector to nowhere" attached to it that was hidden away up above and behind the Mastertech port on a 1997 Bentley Turbo R that was for the UK market (and, obviously, RHD). The suspicion is that this port, which is the key to the "no cutting necessary" method, is probably hidden in the same way on Mastertech equipped cars from the very beginning that were being delivered to markets where other styles of on-board diagnostic ports were not legally required. By contrast, the third photo shows what was found in a 1996 Continental R that had original delivery to the UAE (or at least that's what I suspect). You'll notice that a slightly different variant on this yellow port and black connector are what end up being used to bridge to a true OBD-II specification diagnostic port.

I'd really like to determine whether these yellow ports are indeed present, even if hidden, on all Mastertech equipped cars. I'd also like to determine when (or for what markets) they transitioned from the smaller square shape shown in the first two photos to the wider format shown in the third.

Any and all assistance with finding the answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yellow_Port_Wire_Side.jpg (65.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Yellow_Port_Pin_Side.jpg (46.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg OBD-II_Port_Bridge.jpg (83.0 KB, 48 views)

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

A quick addendum. A friend who has a parts car that is a LHD 1991 Bentley Turbo R that was originally delivered to Japan that does not appear to have a Mastertech port (at least in the interior, where every one I've ever seen has been located when you drop the knee roll door that covers the fuse box). He's doing one last check of the engine bay since some early forms of OBD placed a port there. If he finds one there I'll report back. Otherwise, it looks like 1991 model year cars destined for Japan did not have any OBD capability.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 AM

Good Morning
Just been reading This and love the negativity
OBD isn’t the Further in fact it is in the past cars are know running on WiFi so totally different
But Late SZ Cars still have it and a lot of dealers will stop using master check and The Technicians will Not know how to use it if there dealer has it.
New Dealers wont be supply with it either as it will be out of date and Expensive
So People Like Brian that are willing to Help and try to keep cars running at there best gets a Big Thank you from me
Maby People Don't Need OBD and love just moaning about other People
You Have a Very Good Site Hear that has built up over the Years By People supplying What they have found out by working on there cars there are others hear that are Negative and think they know everything about there cars well sorry for informing you But RR&B didn't know and still don't Know everything some cars run Motronic Some Zytek this is just for the Engine where is the ECU Made for the Gearbox suspension seats dashboard Lights ?
As for Modifying Ecu's there is no need as a ecu can be repaired all we need do is find out what is happening with them and then they can be repaired there are company’s in the uk that have been repairing them for years
80% of parts are from Bosch Not RR&B the list is endless
so I say keep it up and if you need any help I am hear
Michael

Bentleyman22

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Garage
1996 Continental R UK car - no evidence of any OBD port on my car, only Mastercheck

When I have a moment I'll see if I can locate the yellow connector.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

singlemalt,

Thank you very much. This is consistent with the '97 UK delivery Turbo R.

I really find it rather strange when any manufacturer goes to all the trouble to omit certain very simple features depending on delivery market, particularly in low-production high-dollar vehicles like Rolls-Royces and Bentleys.

The first attachment shows the yellow connector/black bridge connector as it was discovered on the '97 Turbo R (without the bit of insulation removed from the wiring loops, of course). I have to wonder what those are about, because they don't exist after an OBD-II port is grafted on [second attachment] and I'm told that the car runs precisely the same as it did prior to "the graft."

By contrast, the last attachment is from a '96 Continental R with delivery to the Middle East. The OBD-II port was original equipment for that market in that year and you can clearly see how it was installed using the yellow connector/black bridge (or a very similar variant on it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg As_Discovered.jpg (86.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Graft_Completed.jpg (86.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg OBD-II_Port_Bridge.jpg (84.2 KB, 25 views)

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 03:30 AM

Garage
As soon as I have a chance I'll get in behind it and have a look, should be interesting.

I do currently have the engine management light on on my car (Check Engine) - I just haven't managed to go and get it diagnosed yet - I have a Bentley main dealer only about 4 miles away who can of course put it on the mastercheck system. Or I could hire the Mastercheck system from Flying Spares - but I think it may be easier to just get Bentley to do it for me (and probably cheaper as the hire rate from FS is £200, whereas Bentley will charge 1 hour labour to diagnose, which is £100)

But it would be useful to have OBDII on the car for these sort of things. I imagine whatever the fault is, it's not something too serious. Seems to be running well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Depending on what you find I can let you know how to put an OBD-II port on your car whether you want a "permanent" one attached to the yellow connector (presuming your car has this hidden away) or want to make a Mastercheck-to-OBD-II plug using a Trident Ringlock plug with the necessary pins.

The data is already known about which pins from Mastercheck are the ISO-9141 protocol pins for the engine/powertrain and transmission P-codes as well as the +12V source and ground/earth.

If you're running OK and use the car with any frequency you could wait to see if the code was a transient and will clear after a number of start cycles. In any case, it's most likely that you've got one of the core P-codes, since they cover the largest multitude of sins.

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jim Walters
singlemalt, you may be able to find the reason for that "check engine" fault without going to a dealer. There are some codes that will self diagnose using the on-board Motronic diagnostic system. Info at this link, first page: http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p3.pdf

SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode