Silver Spur Oil viscosity & fuel octane grades - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Silver Spur Oil viscosity & fuel octane grades

1. Looking for recommendations on oil for my first 1988 Spur il change. The manual doesn't speciy viscosity for many of the brands recommended but the few that are seem to be 5W50. Given that's the option, what brands are most folks using out there? I'm trying to find a non-synthetic oil as much as possible but am having trouble tracking them down.

Will Mobil 1 Rally Formula 5W50 or Castrol Edge 5W50 work, or will the extra synthetic additives in here be problematic (or cause more leakage)?

2. Am having trouble finding ethanol free fuel within any close distance. If I can't find ethanol free, are there any recommendations on the best octane rating as a minimum?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Where are you located, regarding summer and winter temperature ?

Generally, for those old engine, half synthetic 10W40 is a reasonnable recommandation.
5W....is very fluid when cold
....w50 is fine when hot

1OW50 would be ok too, in half synthetic, harder to find, this is why I suggested 10W40

97 Continental R
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Phantom

You don't say where you're located, but if it's in the USA any car produced by 1988 should have been equipped with seals that are compatible with ethanol in fuel if they were destined for the US market originally. I'd be shocked if there were any difference in seals used no matter what market the car was originally destined for.

I have no choice, and have not for decades, to use ethanol-free fuel routinely and my 1970s vintage SY cars have had zero difficulty with it. When it comes to octane rating, I subscribe to the philosophy that the lowest that can be used without causing knocking/pinging is just fine. Modern engines with electronic spark control will adjust as needed to prevent knock, though I cannot say whether the 1988 SZ series had knock sensors or not. I have been using US regular [87 octane via the (R+M)/2 - AKI method] in my SYs and used it in my 1999 Jaguar as well with no loss in performance or efficiency for my driving habits.

I've been using 10W40 rather than the originally recommended 20W50 in my SY cars for quite a while now. Conventional oil, as the changes are so frequent that there is very little (if any) benefit to synthetic (in my opinion - others will disagree vehemently).

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs. Am in Atlanta, Georgia, so things tend to be on the warm side here most of the time except the climate change induced recent winters which have been positively Antarctical...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 09:32 PM

15W40 or 20W50 will be good choices. 15W40 is diesel rated oil so high in detergent and high in zinc which is good for older engines. 20W50 is also a classic motor oil and will have similar properties. You're in a warm climate so no need for anything too thin.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help folks. Mobil Super 10W40 on its way!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

10W40 did the job nicely. Very happy with my oil change, as is the poor car. Hadn't had one in over 4 years. Was like 10 liters of Guinness in there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

First successful oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyweekend View Post
10W40 did the job nicely. Very happy with my oil change, as is the poor car. Hadn't had one in over 4 years. Was like 10 liters of Guinness in there.
Guess I had to submit a photo while I'm here! For those who need an alternative to rubber mats under the ramps, $5 yoga mats did the job just fine. Car went into a state of Zen at the same time, which probably helped!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Oil Change 122619.jpg (484.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by windyweekend; 01-09-2020 at 08:07 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:21 PM

Next time chock the rear wheels. A bit of extra safety

1980 SWII LRL-41587C FInj
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114 Harkness RR
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithman View Post
Next time chock the rear wheels. A bit of extra safety
Very sound idea. Am ordering some now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode