Spirit II headlight removal - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Spirit II headlight removal

Tried to remove a headlamp on RR Silver Spirit II. I want to see if there’s a way of me refurbishing them myself. Tee-hee. (Given they’re both full of mould and dirt, while the reflector is a right mess).

Removed chrome work surround, all fine. Removed the two screws at bottom of light, all fine. In the engine bay, tried untightening the two bolts as shown in the attached pictures. They unscrewed part way, but then stopped/seized. Just didn’t have the strength in my fingers (in a very small area for a chaps hands to work in) to unscrew anymore.

Tried everything I could think of. Many squirts of WD40. I tried wearing rubber gloves / using a cloth. Spanners (adjustable and otherwise), various pliers, even a plumbing tap removing tool. Not helped by tiny available work area next to these bolts.

Any suggestions as to what I could use to unscrew the remaining thread please? (One of them now won’t turn either direction). Really it needs the strength of Geoff Capes fingers, in the hand size of a toddler.

Are there any other fastenings I need to undo to detach the headlamp from the car? Can’t see anymore… (I’ve taken out the bulbs and unplugged the wires).

Anyone had the joy of removing a headlight and can guide me pls? Or any experience of DIY headlamp refurb? And can offer step by step instructions….!? 😉
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nearside headlight left screw.jpg (77.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Nearside headlight right screw.jpg (99.5 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Hi James,

Looking at the pictures of the lamp assembly for sale there are two bolts at the bottom bracket which go through clearance holes I assume you have managed to remove and then two at the top which appear to have a threaded nut on the bracket attached to the plastic housing.

I would assume the original exposed thread of the bolt protruding through has rusted and now difficult to pass through the bracket nut.

I don't rate wd40 as a thread penetrating oil and somehow you need to get some penetrating oil on the hidden part.

To start with you need to try to screw it back in as too much force will undoubtable end up breaking the bracket off the plastic.

I have never had one out so not speaking from any experience here just from what I can see.

Access to a lot of areas can be difficult and you really need a tight fitting 6 point socket to prevent possibility of rounding off the head.

Get some quality penetrating oil and liberally apply over a couple of days before retrying.

Wish you best

Steve
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:03 PM

Kano Kroil or PB Blaster are 2 very good and widely used penetrants for frozen hardware. WD-40 is basically a lubricant first used on wet ignition systems. I find the only use I have for it is on sliding screen door tracks.

LRL-41587C

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve.

Yes, now I've had a good look at one of the photos from that eBay listing, there are definitely two more securing points. Turns out, they are the two rusty pins at the top of the light (engine side) which I'd understood to be beam alignment. These were the things I should've been trying to take out and are undoing OK. The 4-point plastic capped spokes I was trying to take out, are in actual fact the beam alignment adjusters. I've ordered some better penetrating oil to hopefully get them back where they were.

Interesting post on this subject from the forum, back from 2013.
https://www.rollsroyceforums.com/for...dlamp-fix.html

This threw up two more questions. I was planning to use a chrome spray for the reflectors (although this will be rather 'grey'), but someone else used chrome self adhesive vinyl....

Second thing to ponder: Someone else pointed out they didn't take out the whole leadlamp, they just undid the 6 lens clips and went in through the front... They didn't say how they resealed the headlamp unit.

Anyhow, on this subject, interesting enough short video here where someone did a lights change on a Bentley. Not quite what I needed but useful enough:

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

And thank you Wraithman. You're the third person this year to say to me that WD-40 isn't perhaps the best. Therefore, on your recommendation I have ordered the PB Blaster you suggested. So thanks for that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Hi James,

I was going to suggest you 'bite the bullet' and do the twin headlight conversion it looks so much nicer IMHO.

Pair available on ebay now you could get for about Ł500.

That said I figured your reflector chrome looked bad. Like I said never had plastic ones redone albeit I know you can chrome plate plastic not sure how the old stuff gets stripped off on a plastic lens.

I am not sure about the chrome paint......I have a can and did my brake reservoir caps and they actually look quite good. However it is paint at the end of the day and those halogen headlights get very hot so not sure it would just end up bubbling. Chrome is just small metal particles so can withstand the heat.

Maybe some one has done it and will offer up advice. I suppose the other thing you could do is fit LED lights as they don't give off the same heat but then expect more condensation problems as you won;t get the drying effect on night driving.

Once you remove the clips you can buy new seals or maybe use silicone or make up some new gaskets based on what you see.

Best advice I can offer so see what others ome up with.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode