Can't Access Battery 1999 Silver Spur - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Can't Access Battery 1999 Silver Spur

Hello All,

So here's my dilemma: I have a 1999 Rolls Royce Silver Spur, it's one of the last of the silver spirit generation SZ cars. I always disconnect the battery when the car is left parked. This time around however, I am unable to open the trunk in order to access the battery. Somehow, the trunk mechanism stopped working. Is there any way I can get power to the car from under the hood so I can try opening the trunk with the key fob? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:15 PM

Try going thru the cigar lighter. Observe polarity.

1980 SWII LRL-41587C
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:38 AM

That's a good tip I never have thought of.

I have sometimes used a small house alarm 12v battery and connected to the line fuse in the fuseboard. Other times found the wire to the circuit and pushed a pin through the insulation and put power to the line itself.

Just have to worry on a cars with ECU's now and some automatically disable the accessories.

So a few options open to you.

Steve

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 AM

One reason I stay away from SZ and later module cars, especially lo production makes especially ones with proprietary modules.
Steve, like you, I prefer "analog" cars over the new stuff.

1980 SWII LRL-41587C
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 PM

Boot lock is an isssue on Bentley too, the conception is incredibly complicated and stupid.
Wraithman proposal is a good one.
Indeed, try to move the boot lock with the key on both direction sevreal time, you might be lucky and finally open, except if a ridiculous plastic part is broken

97 Continental R
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:05 AM

Hi,

If none of the above work for you it won't be the first time I have had to on various cars where number plate is fitted on boot rear, make a hole behind the number plate and activate the linkage rod manually to release the latch.

Obviously judging the right place can be hard to establish but the hole can then just be sealed off with a rubber grommet.

If you have to go this way then try to judge it from the schematics parts explosion the best place, or if you can get to a car at a breakers yard and see behind the carpet lid at the mechanism.

Our less than friendly car thieves know exactly where to punch through an outer door skin with a No.8 screwdriver and flip open a door latch

All the best

Steve
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Fernandez View Post
Hello All,

So here's my dilemma: I have a 1999 Rolls Royce Silver Spur, it's one of the last of the silver spirit generation SZ cars. I always disconnect the battery when the car is left parked. This time around however, I am unable to open the trunk in order to access the battery. Somehow, the trunk mechanism stopped working. Is there any way I can get power to the car from under the hood so I can try opening the trunk with the key fob? Thanks in advance.
What was the outcome of the boot?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Still no luck with the boot. Thanks all for the suggestions so far. Here's the rundown of what I've tried up to this point:

-Got power to the central door lock/alarm system fuse (fuse C5 in this model). This activates the automatic door locks, but not the boot.

-Got power to the alarm system/clock fuse (fuse C2 in this model). That allows you to arm/disarm the alarm sensor with the key fob, but does not activate any lock solenoids.

-Got power to the battery feeds in the fuse panel (there are three 30A fuses for this). That gives me dash lights when the key is either in the 'accessory' or 'on' position, but nothing else.

-Went in through the cigarette lighter (spliced the wires in a cigarette lighter power adapter). That gives me nothing.

Steve E, thanks for that suggestion, but honestly I would like to avoid it if I can. I'd like to try to get power to the boot latch above all else; and if I can avoid it, I don't want to drill holes in my baby. I know you understand.

With all the above said...

At this point, I'm in need of some more ideas here. Can I go in through the engine bay somehow by attaching to the alternator?? Or is there another way that works for sure?? Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks again all
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:13 PM

Hi,

The fact you have your battery -ve disconnected in the boot means you can consider that this battery is technically safely out of circuit.

This would allow you to create a totally independent 12v supply by connecting another 12v battery source -ve to ground and the +ve lead from the other battery to +ve where that lead connects to which would be the starter solenoid on the starter motor.

I suggest you do not try to start your car doing this just use it to get supply to the circiuts. Obviously would beneifit from adding an inline low amp fuse and just keep to operating the boot as required.

However this will not help if you actually do have a mechanical issue with your lock and then I am afraid drilling through a small hole in the boot is last option.

Usually lots of holes anyway underneath number plates where they have been changed. Even if stick on plates manufacturers usually have pre stamped holes and just cover them up.

This is not something I like to write as a suggestion as you have to be very careful with having ECU's and get connected to the right wires.

Hope this helps but wait for at least others to concur or offer up another solution.

Steve
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Are you a member of the RROC? (RR owner's club) There are specific technical consultants, including, respected shop owners, who may have dealt with this issue.
There have been more issues with the newer module cars than you can imagine and it would benefit you to explore al your practical options.

1980 SWII LRL-41587C
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode