Lumpy running and warning lights. - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Lumpy running and warning lights.

1992 Turbo R here... I think I ran her dry out of fuel, cut out a couple of times and by working it out there must have been hardly anything in the tank, so stuck a couple of gallons in and bingo fired up fine.

After starting the idle was lumpy and any throttle thew on the check engine light and the battery light.

Prior to this she’s always run fine, although not on the road currently the car is always started and shuffled round the yard every few weeks.

Any ideas what to look at first? Alternator maybe or battery. Having done a bit of googling the dizzy belt is something that I’ve seen mentioned. However I’ve got no smoke and it’s not running so badly as to suggest a bank is down.

Any ideas welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:14 PM

First, determine if the fuel is at the correct pressure. If not, it may indicate clogged filters, fuel pressure regulator, etc

LRL-41587C
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:24 PM

Another issue that may be a factor is not giving the car a good run on the open hiway. If the car has a catalytic converter, which it may be judging by the year, starting and driving around the yard will not bring the system up to operating temperature, and I have witnessed cars of this age become choked off due to a partially clogged cat The O2 sensor may also be affected.

Before emissions and loads of sensors, one could start a car weekly and not have consequences. Today's cars are much more sensitive and less resilient to changes.

LRL-41587C

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM

hi also worth adding the way the car has been used I bet the bottom of the fuel tank had a lot of water in it which you have now sucked up into the injection system so a good clean out with an airline will help before bits start to rust
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Update-

I started the car at the weekend with the plan to get it into my workshop but it is now refusing to run. It starts and will run for a few seconds then cuts out and throws up a "check gearbox" warning. Interesting development....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 02:35 PM

Don't know how you started the car but hope you did nit use a booster or made a mistake jumping with another car as this is one of the best way to create severe and costly electronic issues, damaging ECU.
What you describe smells ECU issue.

Get a Mastercheck plugged to study OBD memory...

97 Continental R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode