Spur flattens battery, central locking I think. - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Spur flattens battery, central locking I think.

So, my father's 89 Spur ii had a flat battery, I fitted a new one and when connected I heard the locking "clunk"

Two days later and the battery is flat. I notice that the passengers front door does not lock, the button moves down but returns slightly. I suspect this door is causing the battery to drain. What's in there, what should I look for.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:43 PM

There's a solenoid switch, a fairly robust looking rectangular shaped contraption that is attached by a rod to the escutcheon on the door wood trim. There are 2 or 3 screws attaching it to the door frame under the door trim. You'll need to remove the inner door handles and window lift switch covers to remove the door trim, use a plastic trim removal lever to avoid damaging the trim or scraping the paint. Check the condition of the wiring contacts to the solenoid for corrosion or possible shorting of any wires to earth. Check the voltage on the wires. On the older Silver Shadow models these solenoids could be removed and opened but it entailed snipping the wires and soldering them back together afterwards and covering the joint with heat shrink tube. The solenoids can be rusty inside due to water ingress through the rubber boot at the top, usually a good cleaning and reassembling will get them working well again.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:03 PM

If for some reason the door solenoids stick they will draw excessive current and blo a fuse or trigger a circuit breaker within the system. A more analytical approach would be to charge the battery, put an amp meter in series with the battery and note the draw. If there is a draw go to the fuse panel and start pulling one fuse at a time and look for change. It will get you localized to the problem of where the draw down is. In many cases the vanity lites and boot switch are culprits.

LRL-41587C

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithman View Post
If there is a draw go to the fuse panel and start pulling one fuse at a time and look for change. It will get you localized to the problem of where the draw down is. In many cases the vanity lites and boot switch are culprits.
Only problem is there is no fuse as such for the central locking, only the resettable fuse which can't easyily be removed.

Logically thinking, the car battery always stayed charged, only when the locking failed did the battery discharge.

I think it best to repair the central locking, which does needs fixing first. If the battery still goes flat at least the car will be secure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode