Subwoofer placement in Brooklands? - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Subwoofer placement in Brooklands?

I just bought an Alpine PWE-S8 underseat subwoofer to go with my A105 head unit in my '96 Brooklands.

The car has its original sized speakers and the sound is fairly lousy, but I strongly suspect that if I can use the subwoofer-out RCA jacks of the head unit to filter all the low bass out of the standard speakers, and introduce a proper subwoofer, the whole system might sound quite nice?

Not sure that there is room under either seat but is this unit likely to be better placed in the trunk? If so, will it go behind the panel covering the tank, hidden between the panel and the tank please? I think my car has some ancient telephone unit in there which should be taken out and replaced, if that panel can take the 10lb (4.5kg) weight, with the subwoofer, which is 14"x3"x9".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:57 PM

As an audiophile my concern was for the best quality sound for mySWII. During the rebuilding of the entire car, I focused on my sound needs. I first installed new Rockford-Fosgate door speakers. Next I constucted a new center dash extension housing to install a new CD/Rcvr. In the rear I designed and constructed a enclosure to house a 8" JBL sub and 2 6x9 Rockford speakers. The rcvr pre-outs go to a large pioneer amp for the 6x9's and a dedicated amp for the subwoofer driven by the cd/rcvr sub out. The sound is amazing.
Now to answer your question. There is no room under the seats for a compact self powered sub or room anywhere behind the rear seat either within the cabin or behind it. Believe me I thought of all the possibilities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RR amps1.jpg (126.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg RRbox in car 2.jpg (144.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg RRheadunit.jpg (189.4 KB, 22 views)

LRL-41587C
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:10 PM

The 8" JBL sub is within the rear cabinet facing forward. Mockups were made from cardboard and hot glued. I wanted the largest speakers that I could fit. I had to go 6x9 in the cab over 8" on the sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RRpwrblock.jpg (203.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RRboxfoam.jpg (192.7 KB, 11 views)

LRL-41587C

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Why can't I just take the D7 off that panel and replace it with the Alpine sub? Heck, all the wiring is in place!

It looks a bit like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D7.jpg (38.3 KB, 22 views)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I seem to have been offered a parts Turbo R and was looking at it yesterday and it had a rear parcel shelf with a couple of meaty looking speakers in it. I wonder if that is a realistic way of approaching speakers?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithman View Post
As an audiophile my concern was for the best quality sound for mySWII. During the rebuilding of the entire car, I focused on my sound needs. I first installed new Rockford-Fosgate door speakers.

By the way, did you utilise the standard enclosures in the doors? One thing I found was that there isnt enough room in there for the speakers AND for the cone surround to move?
And did you do anything with the rear parcel shelf?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
As an audiophile my concern was for the best quality sound for mySWII. During the rebuilding of the entire car, I focused on my sound needs. I first installed new Rockford-Fosgate door speakers. Next I constucted a new center dash extension housing to install a new CD/Rcvr. In the rear I designed and constructed a enclosure to house a 8" JBL sub and 2 6x9 Rockford speakers. The rcvr pre-outs go to a large pioneer amp for the 6x9's and a dedicated amp for the subwoofer driven by the cd/rcvr sub out. The sound is amazing.
Now to answer your question. There is no room under the seats for a compact self powered sub or room anywhere behind the rear seat either within the cabin or behind it. Believe me I thought of all the possibilities.
Beautiful restoration you did on that car Wraithman..

Interior looks better than new.

1977 Silver Shadow 1 SRH 26532 - seychelles Blue - Awaiting a full restoration.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Thank Henry. There is no room in the parcel shelf on a Silver Wraith II for speakers to be sunk into due to the fuel tank right below it. I'm very happy with my results. The weight of the rear seat cabinet keeps it in place and a multi-prong quickly disconnects it. I have a multi-pole toggle switch under the dash that allows me to use the new system or the factory system. The new underdash housing also unplugs in seconds. There is also ground isolation so I can use the new Sony.

LRL-41587C
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

That looks like a beautiful job

Quote:
Thank Henry. There is no room in the parcel shelf on a Silver Wraith II for speakers to be sunk into due to the fuel tank right below it. I'm very happy with my results. The weight of the rear seat cabinet keeps it in place and a multi-prong quickly disconnects it. I have a multi-pole toggle switch under the dash that allows me to use the new system or the factory system. The new underdash housing also unplugs in seconds. There is also ground isolation so I can use the new Sony.
Impressive setup and I didn't realise that, your way, you dont lose the use of the (centre) rear seat, where that box is easily removable. But I dont understand how it interfaces with the car stereo or why you seem to have two stereo setups? How many speakers were there in your car originally (the Wraith/Spirit/Turbo/Brooklands/Mulsanne all SEEM to share the same speaker setup?) and how many of them are you using with that subwoofer box?

Did you conclude that you shouldn't put a subwoofer in the trunk because it wouldn't sound right unless the sound is ported into the cabin with some sort of difficult-to-install broad tube?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:10 AM

The sound should be ported if in the trunk. I kept the original system, the Blaupunkt, pioneer cassette and 4 door speakers (upgraded) so I can show the car at RR meets for judging.
The newer secondary system runs the amps, sub and rear box and door speakers as well.
When the new system is on, all 4 door speakers, sub and 6x9's in the box are on.
I'm a preservationist and audiophile and had to blend both and this worked out.
Why not leave the sub box on the rear floor?

LRL-41587C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode