Brooklands LPT 1997 Potentiometer - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Brooklands LPT 1997 Potentiometer

Hi All,
Brooklands LPT 1997 glove box fuse board has a small PotentiometerÂ*on its own next to the blade fuse array. (not the dash gauge dimmer)
What does this small pot control ?

Also I have noted that UK 1997 LPT has no OBD II unlike in USA we have Master-Check with an Aircraft spec 34/48 pin round conector.
Has anyone manufactured/produced an adaptor or diagnostic program for this system ?
Or has anyone a contact recommendation for a Master-Check kit owner near Oxfordshire with a reasonable charge for plug in & health status check ?
Any advice welcome.

Best regards
Christian

Own a Bentley Brooklands LPT 1997
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 PM

I've noted that same thing (blue knob) in my Silver Spur. No one can tell me what it's for...everyone is stumped - even a Rolls-Royce master technician.

Curious to know if you ever figured out the answer to this mystery?

[email protected]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 04:54 PM

Sorry that I can't answer the question just asked again, but the original poster asked about MasterTech and OBD-II.

As it turns out the basis of the Mastertech diagnostic system is the ISO 9141 standard. Several people have already figured out how to hook up an OBD-II port using a specific subset of pins in the Mastertech plug or via a secondary "bridge connector" that appears to have been on many, if not all, Mastertech equipped cars but that is tucked away and hidden unless the car was delivered to a market that required an OBD-II port as an alternative to the Mastertech port.

I am currently trying to gather more information about what was actually installed on cars destined for delivery markets where OBD-II was not legally required but the car has Mastertech. I'm seeking assistance with the research on the thread entitled, Research Assistance: Mastertech On Board Diagnostics & OBD-II.

Most of the active discussion about what is already known has been taking place on a thread I started on the RROC-Australia Discussion Forums entitled, Mastercheck Port & OBD-II - What do we collectively know?...

Any research assistance or contributions to the existing knowledge base would be most appreciated.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 11:54 AM

glove box POT

the var.pot. controls the ice alert.I was told not to touch but of course
I have.I'll wait till it's about 2 deg.turn it till if flashes up a warning.

meet like minded enthusiasts;we need
community garage where we can work and play
SOUTH LIVERPOOL all help welcome
UK cars such good value .Other cars merc slk 320=bmw x5 diesel=compact tds 18 =GEM fully electric car==get in touch
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 12:22 PM

Would someone mind posting a photograph of the fuseboard that's being discussed?

I've attached the calibration steps outlined in IETIS, and while their not undecipherable they're certainly long and tedious. I'd be highly disinclined to mess with that calibration potentiometer if your ICE light is functioning correctly (or even if its never coming on and you live somewhere that's warm).

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ice Warning Calibration - TSD 6000 06-2008 [English].pdf (26.8 KB, 8 views)

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 10:16 AM

OK, I spent some time researching this and I have a definite answer. It controls the dashboard panel light dimmer. I realize that there is a potentiometer to the left of the glove box which for adjusting the dimming of the gauges, but this appears to be a dual system for whatever reason.

I tested this by activating the headlights and opening the glove box and accessing this mystery potentiometer. Sure enough, it changes the brightness of the dashboard bulbs, though not as much as the potentiometer/rheostat on the left side of the box. I cannot figure out why there are two, but there are. Try it yourself.

MYSTERY (HALF) SOLVED!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode