Bolt type and size (UG11166) - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
JGD

Bolt type and size (UG11166)

Would someone please be able to tell me the type and size of the head of the bolts (10 of) which secure the Silver Shadow rear brake disc to the hub. I understand that this same bolt is used upon the front discs of 1987 > cars.

It appears to be Torx - is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:42 AM

Hi,

From memory it is a T50-E10 12 tooth male Torx. They are indeed used on front too and on later cars. I have leant my Torx socket set to someone so can't check exactly and it has reminded me I have not been given them back yet.

These are high tensile bolts and typically this type is used on cylinder heads too.

Don't be tempted to use a 12 point standard socket.

If you need replacements look for some decent secondhand ones from a breakers. If you need to take them off then buy/borrow the correct socket tool. But give them back!!!!!

Hope this helps

Steve
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
JGD

Thank you for that however as I don't have a bolt to hand and can only view 'E' Torx sockets as commonly offered for sale I am a little confused as they don't appear to be as 'fine' as a photo I've seen of the UG11166 head but perhaps that's simply an illusion.
Aside from length and square drive size are all E10 sockets the same, ie., will what looks (to me) like a 'Coarse' 6 'point' Torx E10 socket actually fit what looks like 'Fine' 12 'tooth' E10 head?
I am sorry to remain unclear but just want to have the correct socket on hand in case I ever need it for disc replacement.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Sometimes called a "4 square". If you remove the rear hub and separate everything, remember to carefully set the bearing gap and follow the service manual religiously. Wait until you have to press out the stub axle. It took me 30 tons on my press.

LRL-41587C
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:26 PM

OOps..meant triple square. Common on caliper bolts and caliper brackets.

LRL-41587C
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:58 AM

Hi JGD,

A standard 12 point socket or a 6 point socket will actually fit over the head but again I would never use one for the Torx head as it can damage the points of the bolts head and probably in this high torqued application even break the socket.

A 6 point Torx socket I doubt will fit over a 12 point Torx head but probably a 12 point Torx would fit over a 6 point.............confused.......sorry I have not got my set on hand to refer to.

The correct part you need is a 12 point Torx T50-E10............if known as a 'triple square' that sounds logical as 3X4=12 but a term I have not heard off here in UK.

My suggestion is buy a spare used bolt off ebay $8.......about £30 from FS each. Always good to have a spare on hand though. Take it down to your local autoshop and get the correct Torx socket. I suggest you get the 1/2 inch rather than the 3/8 drive and you would probably also need a long extension bar to remove them anyway.

Hope this helps

Steve
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 AM

They are also known as ZXN bolts. Spline drive is very different from the others. The hardware doesn't have "points" at all, instead have "teeth" with a squared-off cross section. Think like the splines on an axle shaft, or u-joint yoke/flange.

In some low-torque applications, spline, triple-square and double-hex can "cheat" with each other acceptable. I've even cheated an inverted torx with a fractional box end wrench before without damaging anything. However the problems start with rusty, and high torque applications. You will damage or ruin the fastener if you use the incorrect type of socket or driver bit.

You need the proper socket. There is also limited room around the fastner and I have seen both reg and impact sockets vary slightly in diameter.

LRL-41587C
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Hi,

We refer to all our sockets and Torx male or female in UK as 'point' it is nothing to do with SHAPE it refers to number of 'points of contact'

Steve

Last edited by Steve E; 11-10-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:44 AM

That is obvious. A Torx has 120 degree splines and a triple square is at 90 deg, hence square. You may fit a Torx over a triple square, but professionally frowned upon because if it slips and strips the splines due to surface rust, etc ... you are literally screwed.
Simply buy the correct socket.

LRL-41587C
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:22 PM

Hi,

Just telephoned my friend to get my special socket set returned back and asked what is on the label on the top lid.

Indeed it is a set of XZN sockets. Not sure exactly yet which one or the stamping on the side of the exact socket used for the reference size till I get the set back.

Picture shows the exact bolt used.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bolt RR ug11166.jpg (53.2 KB, 6 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode