Difference between a Euro vs US SS2 - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Difference between a Euro vs US SS2

All, i bought a parts car a few months ago for my silver shadow project that's in overall good shape, but suffered from an under hood fire. I felt like it was too good to part so today, I bought a parts car for my parts car. Both are 1980 but I think that the new parts car is a Euro model as it has an under the floor tank instead of one behind the back seat and some other interesting features like headlight wipers.

Can anyone tell me what the main differences would be under the hood?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00v0v_kJDErsAtzlF_1200x900.jpg (124.2 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 01:47 AM

Hi Alibassi,

You really need to put up any chassis numbers you have. Also quoting these on the Bentley heritage site will give a good indication if you search through the parts catalogue for each chassis number. It should also indicate the point the tank was moved from underfloor to back bulkhead. Again I believe this was done for homologation compliance back then in US.

US had the strictest rules around the world with the Californian emissions and crash test requirements and were feared to some extent by the automakers as lawsuits could cripple a company.

Heavy import duties were also levied on these cars as 'gas guzzlers'

I worked for Jaguar/AM and we had lawsuits going on at the time over various issues but getting the cars through compliance in the US was essential as it was the biggest market.

The huge difference would have been one fitted with the emission controls system. However that said I know some original systems got stripped out even on cars that had it fitted for the US NA

At least the common thing with a Euro and US car was the steering wheel on the left and the headlight dipped to the right. Other items could have been optional extras.

Steve

Last edited by Steve E; 11-08-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, the vin on the Euro car is SRX40999 and the US car is SRL39664

Old 11-08-2019, 02:25 AM

Hi Alibassi,

Yes the last digit X meant it was a euro car no real emissions or EGR stuff which was undoubtably the biggest difference underbonnet between the two, electrical harness differences too to contend with.

The last L digit denoted the year and was used from 1972 on ALL cars destined for NAmerica with EGR starting with A at 1972... B 1973 etc but H was missed out in the sequence as it had always been used for our 'H'ome market and defined a RHD. I(eye) also as it looked like a 1(one) too so was missed out in the sequence.

You can compare the two chassis numbers to show the difference by using the bentley site but I found all the workshop manual data on the EGR system I put up on another post the other day so will sort that out and add the link for you.

Can't do it now on this reply as I lose everything I type.

Steve
Old 11-08-2019, 02:48 AM

Hi,

Here is the link and what I wrote as we were trying to identify a part in the EGR system.

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/23.pdf page17 but lots more info on the whole system all included. The link unfortunately does not take you directly to the section so if you go into the RR Aus forum and workshop manual for your car & year and look at section Emission Control U6 to U10 supplement 5

You should look at the whole topic on this that Jtro74 is discussing as he is doing a similar conversion and experiencing the problems between the two EGR and non EGR cars with the electrical system variations dealing with harness issues.

https://www.rollsroyceforums.com/for...ring-help.html

Steve
Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Hi Al, There was no definitive year or chassis number for the fuel tank relocation. RR served 3 distinct markets and the exhaust, emissions and more areas reflect this.
For example: A 1978 RR Shadow for N. America at chassis SRH26373 has a bulkhead location. Japan + Australia are floor mounted."Other markets" have the floor location as well.

During this era, there was alot of emission and crash concerns for every market, hence no consistency with exact year changes to parts locations.

I have dealer master parts catalogs for all service parts and the one for exhausts is the most complex since it deals with emissions and changes to the fuel tank location.

LRL-41587C
Old 11-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Ok for 1980 : car SRX36111 shows: Bulkhead: Japan + Austrailia
Floor: North America and other destinations.

Use the Bentley Heritage site for the specific year and vehicle numbers for exact parts listings.

My very late 1980 SWII CA actually uses many 1981 emissions and fuel parts since it was adapted for the CA market in order to be sold there between March 1980 and Dec 1980.

Blocks are the same for all countries, however, compression ratios and everything external to the engine was changed for the destined marketplace.

LRL-41587C
Old 11-08-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, if it can be used to save the white one, it would be great as I think that the white car is a very pretty car. I did have a peak under the hood and it's a lot simpler under there. The yard indicated that the engine ran but I'm not hearing any hum from the fuel pump. There was a plate in the trunk that has been removed that looks into the tank so i see fuel but i don't hear the pump. I'll check the wiring when i get it to my shop. Right now it's parked outside my house and I don't know how long it can sit there without my neighbors (rightfully) losing their minds
Old 11-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Main mechanic differences, as far as I know, would be for californian Shadow II and their heavy and complex depollution system.

97 Continental R
Old 11-08-2019, 06:35 PM

Jean..what are the heavy parts on a California car regarding the "depollution" system?

LRL-41587C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in