Vin number plate - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-06-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Vin number plate

Hi Folks

Has anyone any tips on how to clean up the vin number plate and make it look sparkly new.

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2766.JPG (75.6 KB, 15 views)

1974 Silver Shadow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-07-2019, 03:41 AM

Could you put it in a glass of Coke?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-07-2019, 04:12 AM

Tyinksy.....Irn Bru would work much better than Coke

Seriously though Geoff I use Phosphoric acid various mixure strengths on all my brass plaques and copper items and even cleaning old electrical connectors wires before re soldering.

If you look at any decent alloy wheel cleaner or rust/oxydisation cleaner you will see it is a high content usually of phosphoric acid.

We have a brand name in UK called Jenolite and you can just brush on and wash off. We also have another product called Cillit Bang but this is a very weak solution for the home use but does work and the dirty old two pence piece comes out the tank sparkly. I have also in the past used 'Silver Dip' another brand name here in UK.

Look for a decent brand spray bottle of alloy wheel cleaner in the autoshops and see it contains a solution of phosphoric in its contents. All others mentioned though will work too

Steve

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-07-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again Steve.

I had thought of coke as Tyinsky mentioned - there are lots of youtube vids but I will go with a specialized cleaner with phosphoric acid. I have to call in at Autozone later so will check out the wheel cleaners and others.

Cheers

Geoff

1974 Silver Shadow
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-08-2019, 03:30 AM

Geoff,

I thought you might like this.....just my two pence worth and putting my money where my mouth is

I got an old oxydised 2p coin and put it in my phosphoric acid. Mine is a commercial strong mix I got to remove rust stains embedded in my tiles around the swimming pool as the previous owner had cast iron furniture sitting on them.

I had to turn off the camera flash to get a picture as it came up so shiny. It does need a wash out afterwards with clean water but only in the jar for a minute.

I may just try the coke test though out of interest.

All the best

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0160.JPG (131.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0161.JPG (138.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0162.JPG (143.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0163.JPG (129.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0168.JPG (136.7 KB, 10 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread 11-10-2019, 11:13 AM

If you have access to a parts tumbler, they can be very beneficial to the DIY'r especially with mechanical restorations. The small one from Harbor Freight for example, will suit most needs. Depending on the media used, they are wonderful for restoring the finish, removing corrosion and finishing metal stampings with production parts, hardware, tools, bolts etc. Go on Youtube to see the results. The plate is a great candidate for this.
You can sometimes find them used in the classified postings and they are not hard to build.

LRL-41587C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in