Broken speedometer - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Broken speedometer

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out please? The speedometer on my 1980 silver shadow II has broken without warning. Is this a common fault and if so, how do you fix it?

Thanks,

Dickie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:49 PM

The speedo is an electric pulse type. There is a "head" on the speedo drive that converts revs to electrical pulses where it is sent to the dash unit. Check the connection on the trans. Replacements are available at Flying Spares or Introcar

LRL-41587C
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Hi wraithman thanks for the quick reply i have spent nearly 40 years in the construction industry so not really up on technical jargon so may need a few pointers as to what we are talking about cheers Dick

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:18 PM

There is no traditional speedo cable.
Where located?

LRL-41587C
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:42 AM

Hi,

This was one of a few faults I had to look at on an SS11 a few weeks back.

It was just bad connections on the back harness socket of the speedo.

Should be first easy check to remove facia/dash front veneer wood and expose instrument fittings then pull out speedo carefully as not much spare wiring. Remove the harness socket from the back and just put back on firmly.

Speedo worked fine after that. I like simple jobs

Steve
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
Many thanks I'll give it a go at the weekend. Cheers,
Dick
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
Hi,

This was one of a few faults I had to look at on an SS11 a few weeks back.

It was just bad connections on the back harness socket of the speedo.

Should be first easy check to remove facia/dash front veneer wood and expose instrument fittings then pull out speedo carefully as not much spare wiring. Remove the harness socket from the back and just put back on firmly.

Speedo worked fine after that. I like simple jobs[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/RollsRoyceForums_2014/smilies/tango_face_devil.png[/IMG]

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for this. Unfortunately your quick fix didn't work and I had to send the speedo away for refurbishment.

I saw on one of your other posts that you have an aerial for a shadow II for sale. Is it still available and if so what's your price?

Cheers,

Dick
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Your speedo gets it's signals from the automatic transmission box, check the electrical connections down there.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:15 AM

Hi Dickie,

OK, how did you pinpoint it to actually the speedo itself at fault?

As wraithman and shadow11 says next point would be gearbox feed. I understand there is a toothed spindle which can be a problem and replaced.

Just wondering

Re the aerial it is brand new unused and sold to me for my shadow 1 but it definitely is not for the SS1. Sat on my shelf for over 20 years till i finally came to fit it then discovered it was for a later car. I am not sure at what year the change was made maybe when the SS did a lot of electrical upgrades around 1975.

Problem is the original on mine was a screw in connection under the wing to the aerial post and the later one just a push in fly lead from the post so would have meant finding a female mating part to put on my lead from the inside of the car or replace the lead which seemed a lot of work so I decided to fix my orginal. I got a faulty one with a good shaft and managed to do a change over and it wthen worked OK. The old one used to just stick half way up or down despite the extension pieces were not bent or damaged it just had to be pulled up or down manually when trying to press switch at same time.

The one I have is genuine boxed RR part number UD 21483.

I paid £120+vat over 20 years ago and as the modern Hirschmann replacements sold as patterned parts by the dealers at around £120 I don't see it will expect to get much different unless from a concours fanatic.

The main advantage it is the type that requires the remote up/down switch rather than having to wire in feeds from the modern aerials that are automatic from switching on radio.

As for the replacement from dealers not sure why so expensive as I have several new boxed electric aerials some of the switched type and some automatic and none have usually cost me more than about £30-£40........but they do not have the flat topped outer like fitted on the RR.

What is wrong with your aerial as the outer shaft if bent is worst to replace as I did from one with a faulty motor to fix mine.

The motors/gears can be got at to clean commutators and re grease a bit easier but in all honesty the most work is getting to the aerial as wheel arch liners have to be removed.

Just that again first check is the switch itself.

I will add some pictures later when it is daylight as I still have the old parts.

All the best

Steve
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:16 AM

Hi Dickie,

Ok here are some pictures

Picture 1 shows the screw thread aerial lead attachment on earlier Shadows like mine.

Picture 2 shows this fitting removed. It has to be unsoldered from the brass inner guide tube before the whole outer assembly can be slid off. To do this remove the upper and lower bolts and then gently slide up no more than one inch just to expose the soldered point. When unsoldered the whole outer parts can be slid off. Do not pull out too much as you can break the wire where it fits into the screwed backing and very difficult to repair this.
To further strip down for shaft replacement you will have to remove the little knob from the top which is threaded on.

Picture 3 is showing rubber cover removed from motor to access commutator and brushes.

Picture 4 is showing gearbox cover which is a push on interference fit and can be removed to clean and regrease gearing.

Picture 5 is showing one of my aftermarket aerials cost around £40 made by Sceptre. Note how it is the type with the up/down switch again for those radios that did not have the auto aerial feed. This type is a much easier electrical installation on a Shadow and allows for the original dash/facia switch to be used. Unfortunately they do not have the nice flush chrome fit on the front wing and stick up about half an inch.

Picture 6/7/8 shows the RR original replacement I was sold but note the difference on the aerial lead fitting as it does not have the screw type fitting. To use this type it would require a female mating part to be attached to the car lead or the replacement of that lead to the interior which would be quite a strip out job to do.

I don't need either of these two aerials so happy to let them go. I do have a few other types but all are radio operated automatic and special slim types for my Lotus Esprit as a very narrow space for fitting these.

hope this helps but as I said previously hardest part is removing wheelarch liners to get to the aerial

all the best

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0181.JPG (141.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0182.JPG (143.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0183.JPG (141.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0185.JPG (141.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0187.JPG (141.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0188.JPG (142.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0193.JPG (141.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0194.JPG (141.8 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Steve E; 12-03-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode