Exhaust Question - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Question

I have just begun driving my car. Once it warms up, there is an odor and smoke coming off of this black sleeve that is between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter. Is this a factory part or some sort of patch or add on? Maybe I just need to drive it until it burns off but that makes me nervous. Any ideas would be helpful. Wraithman?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F8C08DE6-E507-45B4-8747-30313F844E9C_1570488586929.jpeg (101.9 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:26 PM

That is a stainless steel covering that is spot welded along the seams. There are several sections on the front part of the system before the cat. Often there is oil and drippings that run down the the exhaust and find there way in there. To make matters worse, there is a hi-temp insulation wrapped around the main pipe and the cladding is installed over it. This keeps the heat inside the pipe before it gets to the cat and also quiets the exhaust note.

Here is a pic of what is in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exstainlesswrapping.jpg (241.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg wrapped exhaust.jpg (240.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg polished front section.jpg (236.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust cladding.jpg (201.1 KB, 14 views)

LRL-41587C
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Wraithman, I can not tell you how glad I am to have someone to go to with the knowledge base you have on my exact model. Thank you! Thank you! And Thank you!
Since the car has been driven very little it may have some built up oil in there. Should I just drive it until it burns out? Is there some other way to clean it out? What do you suggest?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:40 PM

It is almost certainly oil. These cars are well known to leak oil from multiple locations, at least with the original seals. There's a reason that the old saw regarding Shadows, "If there isn't oil under it there isn't oil in it," came into existence.

That being said, one of the reasons that valve covers can leak is because the flame trap has never been cleaned out, causing excessive positive crankcase pressure. See the topic, Flame Trap on Oil Filler - The Need to Clean It.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Last edited by guyslp; 10-07-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:42 PM

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front ex section bare.jpg (203.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (229.0 KB, 12 views)

LRL-41587C
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Again Wraithman and Guyslp
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:49 PM

Unless you have the skills, a spot welder, etc to perform surgery on this, your only option is to let it burn off. It may take awhile and maybe embarrassing until it clears.

LRL-41587C
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking about spraying a non-flammable degreaser into it to see if I can wash some of it out. I am thinking Simple Green would do a good job. Would that help?
It is a little embarrassing and it smells up the garage when I get back from a ride.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:48 AM

I'll go with Brian's theory of dripping oil. The other possibility is brake fluid. I had a slow leak on an accumulator on my car (now repaired) and it was dripping down onto the exhaust pipe causing smoke when the exhaust had heated up.

I think cleaning the section with simple green is a good idea but I would have thought any residual oil would have burned off by now, hence my thought that the oil/brake fluid on the exhaust pipe is being replenished each time you drive the car.

1974 Silver Shadow
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounraey View Post
I think cleaning the section with simple green is a good idea but I would have thought any residual oil would have burned off by now, hence my thought that the oil/brake fluid on the exhaust pipe is being replenished each time you drive the car.

Personally, I think using a degreaser is a complete waste of time, having been down this road in the past myself.

If you take the car out for a drive all residual oil should burn off in a very short time once the exhaust is up to temperature (or brake fluid, but given what you've said with regard to smell, I feel this less likely). If you are getting ongoing smoke there is either a reservoir of oil in a pipe wrap (which my cars do not have) or you are getting additional oil being added via drip as you drive (and SRH33576 did just that, even with new valve cover gaskets, and this resolved once the flame trap was cleaned). It was fascinating to eventually figure out the utterly circuitous route the oil was taking. It didn't drip straight down, but followed the engine contours and eventually dripped off.

There has got to be some semi-continuous source feed going on here.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode